BFL Warriors

• Cuervo - I like the way you think brother!  That's why they call it a goal... right.  

I start my training next week for a half & have no idea what time to shoot for.  My ultimate goal is to run a full marathon under 3 hours by the end of next year.  Therefore, I will adopt your approach and shoot for a 1 hr 30 min half marathon goal.  

• Staats-Set the bar high brother! I have no doubt you can do it man. You have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that you have what it takes.

• Cuervo:  It is good to have a goal, but as you stated, that was years ago, we are all getting older (sorry to be the one to break it to you)...ha.  When I ran my first 5K in December, I told my sister that it would probably take 40 minutes.  I had absolutely no idea what to expect and put zero expectations on myself.  I wanted to run my first one to get an idea of how fast or slow I really was.  I really just wanted to finish it.  Imagine my surprise when I crossed the finish line under 30 minutes (29:05).  I was stoked and then had a goal to work for...just to beat that time, even if it is 29:04.  So, I run my second 5K this Saturday (the Retro Run).  I have all my 80's stuff ready to go, and they are calling for rain again.  So, we will see how it all plays out.  I say just go do it and don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Staats:  Sorry the family is not feeling well again; it has been a tough year for them.  Try to stay well yourself.  It is rare for me to get a good night's sleep since my husband is a snorer...you'd think he weighs 300#'s, but no...he is 6'1", 180#, 9.5% body fat and is excellent shape; he has always had a good metabolism, and he is 48 now.  Some people just have to work harder at it, I guess. **sigh**

Brick:  How exciting that you were able to share the news with your hubby, and how exciting for your daughter to experience something like that with you both.  I would love to be the associate at the store hearing you taking those pictures in the fitting room (ha).

2C:  Do you get Oxygen magazine?  I was just reading an article on there on overtraining and thought of you; it was a great article.  It was under the "Ask Alicia" section if you have it.

Well, gonna go make some of my buffalo chicken salad.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Thanks for the advice on running everyone.

As we get ready to start again, I wanted to throw something out there. I was talking with Parson today and realized something. After 2 challenges and months of working out, we all should have the basics down to a science. For the most part, working out hard is easy, eating healthy is easy. It is the little things now that will define our success. I want to hone in on those things to get the best results. Just a thought.

Later gang

• Good afternoon! Its been a busy day for me at work but doing great today (food and workout on track).

I also agree Cuervo that as long as you dont let it confuse you, it doesnt hurt to get a more accurate fat% read. I also have a scale that fluctuates (19-24%) too much and the calipers (~15%). I never know what to believe so I think I stick to calipers myself. and, the goal for running time is awesome! You will know where you are once you run it and then go from there.

BDMom, I will take a look at that article you mentioned. I dont have the magazine but I may be able to read it online. After those few days of rest, I already notice a huge difference. Today cardio was one of my better ones in a while. Lots of energy. So, there is my answer: I was fatigued and overworked.

GP, happy belated anniversary. What an awesome life goal to reach. I am only in my 11th year and looking forward to hitting that milestone. Enjoy that new treadmill...

Staats, hope everyone mends soon at your house.

Brick, I can only imagine your hubby's face. Let the countdown begin, right???

You all have a great day!

• Hey Warriors!

I'm here and on track during AR so far this week!  Cuervo is right, we have to tighten up on the little things.

I am working on a revised training split for the next 12 weeks.  It is pretty agressive, but I know I can do it.  Essentially it is a 5 day weight lifting split.  2 days focus on strenght and 3 days focus on hypertrophy.  I should not have any problems squeezing in at least 2 cardio sessions per week with the split.  Some of the weights - while intense - will not require much time.  I'm excited about it!

Right out of the gate I will be out of town for a couple of days during the first week, so I will get a chance to flexible out of the gate!

I hope everyone has a great evening....White Chicken Chilli is on the menu for supper...homemade!

• Happy Wednesday!!

I jumped on the elliptical again this AM for a leisurely 3 MPH walk for about 30 minutes.

BDMom –  Is it 20 hours or 20 miles on the TM before using the incline? Either way, could I just turn it on & let it run for the necessary time or distance?

Staats – so sorry that your family has had a tough time with sickness. They are fortunate to have you to take care of them.

Parson –  that White Chicken Chili sounds great, I’m going to have to try that.

Cuervo –  Here is a link to an article on body fat scales that might be helpful. www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/bodyfatscales.html I found it very interesting.

Brick – I bet you are even more excited now that you have revealed your big surprise!!

I hope all of you “Warriors” have a great week of AR …. honk honk!!

• Morning gang,

Just wanted to check in. Things are great. Ready to start again. Planning, planning, planning. But sticking to the basics. Results are sure to follow.

Have a great week.

• Morning Warriors!

I am checking in for the day.  AR is still going great this week.  I did a very short 10 minute run yesterday just to get the heart rate up and clear my mind from the days work.

I am so glad it is warming up here in south GA.

Have a great day gang!  

• Good morning everyone. I'm in the process of trying to learn as much as I can before I officially start on Monday. This is definitely alot to take in, ha, but I think I'm catching on slowly but surely. From what I understand about the Myoplex, is that it's not only a good refueling product post workout, but also a great meal choice in between the 3 major daily meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Supper). I've noticed some people use the Whey Protein powder also and I'm not very familiar with that at all. Would anyone recommend using both of these products, one or the other, and which one? Also, I plan on doing my workouts right away in the morning. And from what I understand, doing both my lifting and cardio on an empty stomach (besides 2 glasses of water when I wake up) is the way to go. Or is that incorrect? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

• Tiny- You will do fine. Just do not try to complicate things too much. That is when you will have problems. Do all of your workouts as required, eat good and healthy, drink water and rest. Enjoy the ride.

As far as protein, it is all your personal preference. I use the EAS 100% Whey and buy it at Sams IN 5 LB bags for around $25. I prefer to have whole foods for 4 or 5 meals of the day and use a shake after my workout and usually for meal #2 with an apple or something.

Workouts are the same, just find what works best for you. Many do their workouts early in the morning to get it done and out of the way. I personally do mine after work at around 4 pm. I think either is fine as long as you give it your all every time. Morning workouts might be a little better for fat burning, but I get my best results later. Again, it is a personal preference.

There will be many ups and downs during the 12 weeks, but with a good support group and enough determination you will be amazed at the changes in your future.

Good luck.

• Tiny - don't forget to take before pics. If you don't there will be a time that you will wish you had. Cuervo is right about the timing of your workouts. Do what works best for you. I do mine 1st thing in the morning. That way there are no last minute events, etc. to cause me to miss a workout. I have a protein shake as meal # 1, immediately after UBWO & LBWO. I wait an hour after a HIIT session.

• Getting my pictures taken by my sister on Sunday. I'll be doing my workouts in the morning because it just fits real well with my schedule. Hiker, I like the way you schedule your shakes with your workouts and I'll be trying the same approach. I think I'm going to purchase both the Whey Protein shake powder as well as the Myoplex Lite mix. That way, I'll have a protein shake for post workouts in the morning, and then Myoplex throughout the day for meals. Does anyone blend in fruit with their shakes? I'm thinking a banana in anything chocolate woule be tasty. Thanks guys.

• Hi friends:

Hope you are all having a fabulous day.  I worked out with my trainer today and only did upper body, so I will be ready for my 5K on Saturday.  We now have a 40% chance of rain on Saturday...**sigh**.  We will see how it works out.

Grandpa:  It is 20 hours.  I think you need to put the time in on the belt, and not just let it run.  It really does go by quickly, especially if you have anyone who just wants to walk on it.  My girls would jump on for 30 minutes at a time, and there was an  hour down.  I would do my HIIT and then walk for an extra 30 minutes or so.  I would call Nordictrack and talk to them.  Also, if you plan to set it up yourself, I'd reconsider.  If they are just delivering it, they won't even bring it into the house, and it is a several hundred pounds.  There are a lot of parts, and it can be confusing.  I paid to have them set it all up and then paid extra for the extended warranty.  

Parson:  that sounds like quite a workout; be careful.  Love white chicken chili..yum!

Tiny:  If you are doing the Myoplex, they are usually 50/50 for protein & carbs, so you don't need to add anything with that.  For the whey after a workout, by itself is better for leaning out.  For building muscle, it is good to incorporate a piece of fruit with your shake.  Just try to get your 50/50 protein/carb ratios.  Be careful of too many bananas.  They tend to be high on the glycemic index, as well as a higher calorie fruit choice.  I'd go for 1/2 and make sure it is not too ripe.  Don't overanalyze; the first few weeks are a learning curve.  You will do great, and we are all right here for you.

I have a sweet potato in the oven, and will have some turkey meatloaf and grilled zucc/squash & asparagus with it..yum.

Will check in later!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Good afternoon fellow Warriors for Life!

I basically took the whole family to the Doc's office this morning.  My wife has a respitory infection with a fever - Doc gave her a Z-pac.  My youngest, Nolan, has a sinus infection (Doc freaked when he learned he had a 105 F fever over the weekend) - he got meds, and Wyatt - the middle son who had the fever first over the weekend - has an ear infection - he got meds!  Seth, my oldest, with no fever this morning is in school today.  Doc said to call in if he gets an ear infection & we will get him on meds too.  This is the first time in years that we finally broke down & went to the docs - let alone go get meds.  Oh well, you gotta know when to throw in the towl.  Thus far, I have been the only lucky one.  My wife is kind of down, she takes it personal & believes it is her job to feed us right & keep us healthy.  I told her to hold her chin high, I don't know many with kids our ages who have went healthy as long as we have.  It gets tough when you have 3 kids in 3 different schools / preschool!

I am still trying to enjoy sleeping in, kind of hard when your up with the family, but I will take what I get!  Next week will be here before you know it.  I plan on hitting the BFL weights on M, W, and Fri per the plan.  I will then do 1/2 marathon training on M, T, Th, and Saturdays!  

Cuervo - I am looking forward to hitting it with you again brother.  My main goal will to be to hit the little things - like eating BFL style.  I may double up on approved Carbs the first 3 meals mainly due to the long mileage I will be putting in on Cardio - Start at ~ 20 miles / week & top out at ~ 40 miles per week near the finish.

TinyTimmay - Do you have the original BFL book?  It is an easy read & really gives an easy to follow meal & workout plan with all the exercises, number of reps, and intensity charts that you will need.  I think you will find out that hitting the mornings assist in body fat loss.  I mainly do the shakes & protein drinks because it works well with my schedule & ensures that I am getting all the nutrients I need without having to cook or prepare 6 meals.  It is really what works for you.  I have mixed fruit with my shakes & really enjoyed them.  I know that BDMom has a ton of good recipes as well.

GPHiker - When is the treadmill arriving?  I bet you are stoked!

Parson - The weather is warming up here as well - I can't wait to pound the roads!

2C - Glad that you are back on track.  A good rest for the body can yield huge dividends down the road!

BDMom - Keep rocking and doing all that you do... you are truly awesome and an inspiration.

Brick - I hope your still doing well sister; your trip will be here before you know it.

Everyone - have a great day!