what's wrong? results when?

• Hello all,

This time I'm writing for two reasons: to see if I'm doing this all right and to get encouraged.  I have just finished my first 4 weeks and got back on the scale(that does weight/BF/hydration/bone mass) and I was disappointed.  My weight increased a little, which sucks but I understand that muscle weighs more than fat.  however, my BF was also up and now I'm confused.  I am doing the program pretty darn close to exactly the way it is lined out. I work out 6 days a week according to the plans and I do my best to reach the high point at each exercise.  A typical day of eating looks like this:

BREAKFAST: 1 egg, 1 egg white, 1 serving oatmeal (NOT instant) or 1 English muffin (whole wheat) w/ an egg on one half and peanut butter on the other half; MEAL2: a HB egg and banana, or EAS protein bar(low carb ones); LUNCH: a salad w/ a little turkey and cottage cheese or a turkey/chees sandwhich on a whole wheat thin bun; WORKOUT (3 hours after lunch); MEAL 4: protein shake or EASprotein bar (again, low carb); DINNER: chicken, veggies, two small red potatoes or shrimp scampi w/ lots of veggies and whoe grain pasta (occasionaly w/ a glass of wine) MEAL 6: Greek Yogurt (which has 12g protein and around 27 carbs)

Am I eating correctly?  Any of the bread I eat is whole grain or whole wheat.  I usually only have one whole egg and include egg whites. The milk I drink, as infrequently as I do, is organic skim.  The salads are spinach w/ little dressing or no dressing if it has cottage cheese.  Occasionaly I eat Kashi cereal in the morning which is high in protein and fiber. I also have a small glass of OJ w/benefiber in it in the mornings or coffee (which may have skim milk and two splendas). I try to limit my alcohol to my free days, but I do drink wine sometimes.   Am I doing something wrong?

I understand that it takes time. I also understand that the general weight number should not be the determining factor of success.  I didn't actually expect that to move.  But why is my body fat % up?  I am consistent with my workouts and my protein intake is more now that it has ever been in my life.  I've always been active, but not this consistently and not with the addition of protein.  I'm 30, 172 lbs w/ a 35.2% body fat. I hate that. So i'm working on it.  And I'm willing to put in the work.  But I don't want to keep eating all this protein and working my tail off if it's not going to help.  But I'm not a quiter.  Can someone please tell me why I am not seeing any change?  Is it possible to be eating so poorly on my free days that I negate the work I've done all week?  Cause if that's the case, the free day isn't really worth it...  

Help... please.  I don't want to give up.

• Elinor,

Whatever you do don't give up! I have heard that some people don't see results until week 9. I looked over the food list and it listed egg whites or substitute. Bananas were not on the list. Oranges were, but I'm not sure about the orange juice. For salad dressing I use 1 TBLS. Extra Virgin Olive Oil/1 TBLS. Cider Vinegar, which I LOVE, but you are getting a serving of healthy fat, which is on the list. I would also make sure your peanut butter is Natural as regular has a lot of sugar.

Good luck, and don't give up!

• As leggsmomof3 said, don't give up! Try some small tweaks: switching at least your cardio workouts to first thing in the morning, cut out wine altogether, if you can, or strictly limit it to your free day, switch to water with your Benefiber.

How are your clothes fitting? Have you taken another set of measurements? Are you seeing more muscle definition? Don't depend just on what the scale says. Speaking of the scale, did you weight at the same time of day each time? The BF measure on a scale can fluctuate quite a bit so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Most importantly...are your meals 20g carbs & 20g proteins?  This is what I see that I might change:

Meal 1:  Probably not enough protein.  I eat 3-4 egg whites when I have oatmeal; that gives me a 20/20 meal.

Meal 2: What's an HB egg?  Still not enough protein.  Bananas are high on glycemic index, so would be better to have with an orange/apple/cantaloupe....

Meal 3:  Looks good as long as 20/20 ration

Meal 4:  Looks good if a shake (try to save bars for emergency situations; you don't want to eat them too often)

Meal 5:  Watch potato/pasta portions and make sure pasta is whole wheat.  Save the wine for free day only.

Meal 6:  Greek yogurt alone is not a good meal, especially as your last meal.  This is the one meal you can have higher protein/lower carb on or stick with regular 20/20 ratio.

I think if you tweak that a bit, you will start to see some changes.

BUT, keep in mind....you are only in week 4.  Few people see changes this early on.  I didn't!

Good luck and keep it up!!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• thank you all. i'll try and re-evaluate.

leggsmomof3: i got the banana from the book in the eating section where he lists some fruit as a good source of carbs. My peanut butter is all-natural and my orange juice is Simply Orange cause I don't like it when they mess with it.  But it is worth considering taking that out...

saralynn: I havn't notice clothing fitting better, unfortunately.  I didnt' remeasure cause i don't want to get REALLY discouraged.  I was going to do that half-way through.  i did weigh at the same time--first thing in the morning.  But I was thinking of trying again tomorrow to see if today was a fluke... we'll see.

BDMom: HB is a hard-boiled egg. And I have a hard time figuring out the 20/20 ratio.  i guess I just don't know how much of each thing would equal 20 grams.  The meat I try to measure with my palm, but like with turkey in the salad or on a sandwhich, it's hard to tell.  it doesn't look like much turkey... which is why I add prob a 1/4c of cottage cheese.  Would you suggest adding cottage cheese to the yogurt at night?  I have trouble finding enough protein for the night meal, especially since you're not supposed to eat less than 3 hrs before you sleep (health people say it just gets stored cause your matabolism is slower at night, and also that your body can't focus on getting good sleep if it's also working on digesting food). I have trouble sleeping through the night so I was trying to keep that last one light.  But i'll see what I can find that is protein that's not a huge chunk of meat...  My pasta is whole wheat--and that's what i mean. i feel like i'm following the rules, but i could be either eating too much, or not enough and both dilemmas would produce the same results.  How do you tell which it is?!

thank you all for your thoughts.  I really appreciate the suggestions.

• I would also ask are you drinking enough water throughout the day and are you spacing your meals 2.5 to 3 hrs apart

• Elinor, I have been using this site - http://caloriecount.about.com/ - to determine the protein and carb grams in different foods. I'm still learning how to balance meals, too.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• HB...of course, hard boiled.  I eat so many of those, I think my head is getting HB...ha.  The hand/palm portion is good for a lot of things....others you just have to read labels.  Most deli meat is 4 oz for 20g.  My cottage cheese is 15g protein per serving, so that with a hard boiled egg or a slice of deli meat is a meal with an added carb.  You can add some cottage cheese to your yogurt; lots of people do.  I drink a low carb/high protein shake at night.  I drink it about an hour before bed.  Your body works to digest food at night, if it is processed or a statchy type carb.  Your body NEEDS protein at night to build/repair muscle tissue.  I look forward to my protein shake at night; it keeps me full and satisfied until I can eat BF the next morning.  I sometimes just mix my low carb protein powder (1 scoop) with 8 oz almond milk.  OR, I make a smoothie/shake with 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 scoop protein powder, 1/2 cup almond milk, Tbsp powdered peanut butter (PB2), and it tastes like a milkshake.  On the pasta, 1/2 cup (cooked) is usually the right amount for a female.  Don't get discouraged; I found the first month to be a bit of a learning curve as well.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"