DebbieMO's "Step it Up for Spring" Group

• Hi everyone - I edited the title of this thread to reflect our new challenge starting January 3 and running through March 27. Head to the last page to see new posts.

I am a participant in DebbieMO's church/school group. The official start date is early October, but I thought I would start a support thread for the group now as we prepare for the twelve week challenge.

I have known Debbie for several years through the school. She was my kids' PE teacher and my daughter's seventh-grade basketball coach, and several years ago I used to sub for her PE classes. This past year she took a hiatus from coaching basketball so I did not see her as frequently. At the end-of-school awards assembly last May I noticed that she was significantly thinner. I went over to congratulate her and she told me what she had been doing. I was impressed, but at that time felt no need to change up my routine.

I am a stay-at-home (not so much) mom of three. My husband is a computer networking guru. My eldest daughter just graduated from college and is working in a temporary position with the state Department of Conservation. My middle daughter started high school this year and my son is in seventh grade. Last summer the youngest two were extremely busy and I sacrificed my gym time to make sure they were in the right place at the right time (summer school classes, summer basketball league, sport camps, vacation, swim lessons, etc. etc. etc.).

Now that the school year has started again, I am back at the gym, but the damage has been done. My jeans are snug and I have a little belly roll started. I have become complacent in my workouts. I also just had a major birthday (I haven't even been able to say it out loud yet) and am seeing the need to fight metabolism slow-down. So I was excited to read Debbie's notice about a Body for Life group challenge. I definitely need a shakeup in both my exercise routine and my diet, and I find that it is always easier to keep motivated within a support group.

My goals for the twelve weeks are: (1) lose ten pounds, (2) eliminate the belly roll as well as the fat lines that have appeared on my back, (3) not have to suck it in when I zip up my jeans, and (4) have more energy. I hope those are specific enough.

In preparation for the challenge, I ordered the Body for Life book and success journal. There are some really inexpensive used books at amazon.com. I bought both of them for less than $9 including shipping and handling.

Since cardio workouts are supposed to be done before breakfast, I finally got around to visiting the new west side YMCA. It's much closer to my house than Knowles, where my current habit is to work out right after dropping the kids at school. I did a cardio workout on the treadmill while I was there (3.6 - 4.6 mph). The cardio machines are awesome! There is an iPod hookup, and at the end of a workout there is an option to record the stats on a USB thumb drive. Very cool. I am scheduled for training on the weight machines next Monday. I hope they are as amazing as the cardio machines.

I tried the on-line recipe for Protein Pancakes this morning. I didn't like that particular recipe, but I don't think I will find the diet side overly difficult. I have done South Beach successfully, and I spent six weeks on the Allergy Elimination Diet for health reasons. BFL food choices are less restrictive than either of those diets. I think that the biggest challenge will be eating six times a day. I'm not used to that. I measured one of our large tumblers, which holds two full cups of water. My current habit is to drink juice with breakfast and water the rest of the day, so that's not a huge change either.

I have a couple of health challenges that will measure into the program. I have some minor lingering effects from brain surgery two years ago, and I have exercised induced asthma. The only thing that causes asthma flare-ups is sustained running. I can handle interval training segments of 60-90 seconds, but there are not likely any 5K runs in my future.

My eldest daughter is doing the challenge with me. She would like to get into better shape before leaving on a year-long service trip to Vietnam in January.

Thanks, Debbie, for the incentive to get me started on something new.

I hope that others in the group will also post here so that we can support one another through the challenge.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Welcome to the BFL Forum!!   I think that it's an awesome thing that Debbie is doing in supporting you guys.  She's an amazing woman.  Congrats on your decision!!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Saralynn:  Welcome!!  What an inspirational friend you have in Deb.  It will be like having your own little coach..oh...that may not be a good thing (ha).  We are here for you, so be sure to post often and check in and read up to learn as much as you can!

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• SARA!!!!! I logged on this morning and saw my name on this thread!! Made my morning!! WooHoo! When you emailed me the other day and said you ordered the books, I was like, "she will stick with it cause she has determination..."

Way to go!!  Now we just gotta get some other people on board...I think Pam in the office wants to do it, and Michelle.

Well, a lot of people desire to do it, it's just how much work will they do to fulfull their desires. I know YOU will do great!

Thanks Michelle & Natalie! =)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Sara-

Welcome to the BFL forum!!!! We are all here to support you!!! DebMO is awesome, she has inspired me and helped me sooo much!!! Congratulations on your decision!!!

Tisha :-) “Running won't kill you, you'll pass out first!"

• WELCOME!!!! And no wonder you were inspired by DebMO she is amazing!!!!!!!!

• I LOVE THIS!  Welcome to all the newbies!  DebMO you are something else lady.  I thought what you did to share this opportunity with others was absolutely an awesome thing.  Good for you...and for them! :-)

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Thanks everyone for your kind words of welcome.

Debbie, I hope Pam and Michelle do participate. The more the merrier. HF and I have plans to go to the West YMCA at 5:00 a.m. on cardio days, so anyone who wants to meet us there is more than welcome. We may also go early on lifting days, but that's not determined yet. I may decide to continue lifting at Knowles after dropping LB and JW at school.

We are also sketching out a grocery list. I went to Wal-Mart to look for the EAS whey protein. The only EAS product I could find was soy protein. I am supposed to limit soy since I am on a thyroid supplement, so I bought a different brand.

I tried another recipe - French toast - for breakfast this morning. I cut the ingredients in half since I was making it just for myself. I ended up with enough egg mixture left over for HF to have some too. She was thrilled about it, but I figure that we each only had half the protein we should have had. I reread the recipe and had it just right, so I don't know what happened. Other than using just the egg whites, it's exactly how I always make French toast.

Hopefully I will have the hang of this by October 3. Or is it October 4?

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• One week to go until the "All I want for Christmas" challenge starts. In preparation I have been trained on the equipment at the new west-side Y, which is closer to my home for early morning cardio workouts. I will probably still visit Knowles for the weight work since I am more familiar with those machines. I have received my copy of the book and success journal and am making plans and grocery lists for the first week.

I hope some of the other AIWFC participants will log in and post their stories here. I know that there is a lot to learn even from people I have known for years.

Want it. Plan it. Do it.

• Sara-So glad things are going according to plan!! See you on Sunday for the group picture!!! =) I'm so excited for you all! I have 48 people on the message list and no one has asked me to delete them so hoping for the best!

HighPoint! This is the group...join us!!! Anyone else???

• I finally found the thread! I am looking forward to starting this challenge. I have looked at some of the transformation pictures and am so impressed with the results. (especially debbiemo's) We have a great leader who is so excited and anxious to help us all.

I look forward to picture day on Sunday and the start of a healthier life!

Kathy

• Hello everyone. Name's Jayne. I'm in. Woohoo!

• Hello everyone!  Saralynn invited me to join this thread as I am beginning my 12 week challenge on Monday!!  I am a bit anxious about the before pictures and measurements that I am going to tackle this weekend, but if those two things aren't  motivation to produced some awesome after pictures then I don't know what would be!!  That is my outlook on the two things that I fear most in this program, my motivation to produce something WORTH posting!!  :0)  Thank you for letting me joing your group!!

• Thanks for the invitation, DebbieMO.  Looks like this is the group for me.  I'm excited to start my second challenge on Monday!  I have enjoyed the last couple weeks of active rest but now I really feel ready to get back into it.  I look forward to supporting and being supported by all of you!

HighPoint

Patience, persistence, and hard work pay off.

• Jayne, HP, and Kendra!

Welcome to the PARTY!!!! Hey Kathy! Was great talking to you yesterday!

Today's the day people, kickoff time for remarkable changes in your life!! Let's do this thing!! =)