Why do a lot of protein bars cause "the runs"?

• Sorry. I know it's a gross subject & that's the nicest way I can put it, but I get serious diarrhea almost every time I eat one. It's a shame too because they feel like a treat & help me eat like a champ, so I look forward to having them every once in a while.

It doesn't happen with low protein bars ( like Balance bars ), but those are essentially slightly tweeked candy bars marketed as health food.

I've experimented with making my own ( oatmeal, protein powder, peanut butter, applesauce, almonds, cranberries etc..), but those don't taste as yummy. Anybody know what the deal is with this issue?

Thanks!

PS. Aren't you glad I didn't refer to the issue as the "Hershey Squirts?" The opening was there.

:p

• It is not the protein, it is most likely the sugar alcohols.  I avoid them like the plague!!!  Look at the ingredients, and if you see anything like mannitol, maltitol, any other tols....avoid it.  I think they are required to list on the nutritional profile now.  Look for sugar alcohols listed beneath sugars.  For a guy, a great protein bar is the Trioplex bars; I love the peanut butter one, but have to cut it in1/2 if I eat one, because they are big.  They also don't have anything that will melt and be messy.  I actually eat a balance bar on occasion and like them as well.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Wow BDMOm!  You already look great!  It's awesome you are challenging yourself to the next level!  How's it going?  I look forward to my after pics looking like your before pics!  LOL!  

I've been eating those Aldi fit n trim bars that compare to balance bars.  Actually, i just made a new goal to chill out on those for awhile because they have more sugar than I need.  Very yummy though...caramel and honey yogurt.

Funny you mention the "runs" thing!  I've noticed there is room for improvement in that department and I was thinking it may be those darn bars!

More reason to chill on them.  I'll do the shakes more often instead!

• Thank you! I'll try the Trioplex.

• Hi Susie:

It is going well.  I had a pity party over the weekend because I didn't see any changes in my 4-week photos, but got over it and am now back at it.  I have worked out most of my adult life, and have had a pretty clean diet as well, so this wasn't a HUGE change for me.  However, eating at the right times and mixing the right foods, as well as pushing myself harder at the gym is what I hope will get me to that next level.  Thanks for the compliment.  I definately need to tone up my tush, lose some thigh fat, and develop some abs!  Where are you in your challenge?

Take care.

S C O J O:  Let me know what you think of the Trioplex bars.  AND, remember, don't make them a part of your everyday diet, but use more in case of emergency situations that may arise.

"The only person you should try to be better than, is the person you were yesterday!"

• Hey BDMom!  I'm on week 9.  I did this big time back in 2000-2003 and got down to a size 4 after having 3 children.  I remained active mostly with some off times especially in the weight lifting department.  I had some major stress issues 2005-2008 and turned to food and gained it all back losing and gaining 10-15 pounds each start over attempt a long the way.  I think I was beginning to believe my size 4 days were gone.  Anyhow, I've got my head back and I have been making steady progress.  I completed a 12 week challenge last Fall with success and ran a half marathon.  I've got the healthy eating back down and my stubborn fat is begginning to melt again.  I've got a ways to go as I am 5'1" weighing in at 143.  I can wear 8's now but mostly wear 10's which are lose now!  Yay!  I will be a size 4 again!  I'm really focusing intensely on the last 4 weeks of this challenge and dreaming about my body transforming each night while I sleep!

Your progress will pay off even though you don't have the fat to lose.  Just think where you will be in 8 more weeks.  With a start like that, I believe your magic will happen in the second half of the challenge.  Stay at it!  I can't wait to see your after pics!  Very exciting!

Let me know if you ever need a cheerleader!!!!  I'll have to look into those trioplex bars too!

SCOJO:  You look ripped!  How long have you been doing BFL?

Have a great evening!

• @BDMom -

Thanks! I will let you know. I ordered the Trioplex chocolate peanut butter, caramel apple & the white chocolate brownie bites since they got rave reviews on amazon. And yes, definitely only plan on having them as emergency back-ups & special treats! Lotta sugar!

@Susie-

LOL! That picture is of my inspiration: RYAN REYNOLDS, while training for his role in the X-Men movie! I actually just started my first challenge yesterday & feel great. That photo is to remind me to keep it up, and maybe I too can have an 18 pack like him in a mere 82 days more!

:)