Sept. 3rd BFL-Start...Who's with me?

• Hi Kathy - Your problems are anything but "petty", so don't feel embarrassed. I am living on borrowed money right now, and can't help, but I will be thinking of you and hoping that it all works out.

• LauraD - It's in the book.  Here's your answer:

"To enhance the FAT burning effects of BFL workouts, do them IN THE MORNING, in a fasted state (before eating)...Scientific studies indicate that fat is burned much faster- up to 300% FASTER - when you exercise in the morning as opposed to doing the SAME exercise in the afternoon." (BFL book, page 65, 4th paragraph)

I also found a post from BFLMike (Mike Harris) about folks with diabeties.  He was specifically addressing someone with a concern but I think this could help someone here:

"You most definitely need to be careful as a diabetic. Some diabetics have gotten into problems from doing early morning cardio on a fasted stomach at an intense rate. Most diets for diabetics are very similar to this body for life diet, though there is really no "free day" for diabetics–at least insofar as consumption of high sugar, high glycemic type foods is concerned. Ridding yourself of all the body fat and gaining some muscle might well put an end to your diabetes as well!"

With anything fitness related, you all should be checking with your doctors before trying something new.  Most of us on this site are not certified experts unless we say we are.  I am not. :-)

Can you tell I saved a lot of what Mr. Harris had to say?   Believe me, I wasn't the only one.  He was very helpful and knowledgeable.  He left a lot to be shared and as it is necessary, I'll continue to share it with you. :-)

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Here's the answer to the other concern about timing of meals after workouts.  Remember the EAS slogan, "Don't Waste Your Workout."  Read the containers of your Myoplex products, it's right near the running guy. :-)

I found this answer in the FAQ's found at the Library Tab above.

Do I need to eat something before I work out and after?

It depends on your goal. If your goal is to lose fat and gain muscle, we do not recommend eating before for at least an hour before your cardio workout, although some people find that eating half a nutrition bar or a piece of fruit gives them the energy they need to make it through an intense cardio workout. You’ll find out what works best for you. When it comes to post-workout nutrition, eating a nutrition shake or bar after a weight-training workout is very important for muscle recovery and muscle growth. After your cardio workout, you should try to consume a balanced whole-food meal or nutrition bar or shake about an hour after you finish. If your goals are performance- or sport-specific, you might want to try our Myoplex® brand of products, which are geared toward the more serious athlete.

• One more share.  Visit the website Hussman Fitness.  It is BFL friendly and explains a lot about how BFL works for our bodies.  You'll learn a lot there.

www.hussmanfitness.org/index.html

• Here is another website that I found useful today. If you are looking for nutritional values of different foods, there is a lot of info on this site ..everything from meats, fish, fruits, nuts, processed foods, fast food, etc.

FatSecret.com/calories-nutrition

• I had a great UPWO today!  It feels so good to be on the right track.

Meal 1: (Omelet) 1 cup Egg Beaters, Cheese, Salsa, Mango

Meal 2: Cottage Cheese, Brown Rice w/milk and splenda

Meal 3: EAS Whey Shake/Chia Seeds

Meal 4: Cottage Cheese, Sweet Potato

Meal 5: Round Steak, Squash, Peas

Meal 6: Chobani Yogurt, V8

Water: 80 oz.

• HI guys.

It's good to be able all the answers you are providing at this community.  Can someone help me about the break down on Protein versus Carbs versus Fats?  I am a female 5'3' and I need to lose at least 30 pounds to get to a healthy weight.

• I'm headed to bed as it's way pass my bedtime.  This video should help.  You really don't need to count calories, I didn't.  If I had to do all that, I'd probably never get through a challenge, for me that is too much work.  The palm/fist method was easy to follow.

• This thread may help as well - bodyforlife.com/.../2035.aspx

Please be realistic about what is possible to accompish in 12 weeks.  On average people lose about 20-25 lbs a challenge, this is what I've notice from posts.  In the long run you won't focus so much on the weight as you will on what size cloths you fit into.  Your weight is going to fluctuate so try to weigh yourself every 3-4 weeks.  The scale is not your friend through this process.  Use a tape measure instead.  Because you are building muscle (women will not bulk up), your weight will be off but no one will know but you because it can't be seen.:-). I weighed 145 lbs and was wearing a size 8 before I gained weight.   I now weigh 147lbs and I wear a size 6.  Get the idea? :-)

Good night. :-)

• Thanks for your help, Sharon. I guess I am trying to make this harder than it is.  I will take the 25 pound weight loss happily. I am really planing on doing a second challenge if I do not reach my goal on the first one. Just like you, I am so fed up of being tired all the time - I am totally in for this challenge now - I don't even want hear any excuses from myself anymore.

Last night, I was very busy buying groceries, cooking dinner and then giving the kids a shower. During the whole time, I was thinking "do what you have to do fast, and then just run to the gym, so you won't miss your workout." I finally left at 9:30 and had a great workout.  I felt even better because I did not break that promise to myself.  

thanks again

• Sharn Wonder Woman,

Thank you for posting so many great tips & useable information.  It's greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to get on line every day to read all the blogs but I check in when I can.

I have a question.  Today I was ill and couldn't make it to do my UPBWO..so do I skip it & still do cardio tomorrow or do I do my routine for today tomorrow instead?

Everything is going well, feeling good.  I need to step up my workouts more but I'm getting there.  I feel a lot better that's for sure.  Besides catching some stomach thing today!

Thanks again for all your info...Wannabeme (Kim)

• jerseyfit - If you haven't already, take time to sit down (write if if you have to) and think about your day and when you can best stick to working out.  When I did that I found that the best time for me was to be at the gym by 4-4:30 a.m.  I am not a morning person but if I was going to do this and get what I really wanted out of it I had to do it.  I know me and to say I'm going to do it after work would be a total lie.  After work I want to relax.  I tried the after work thing and it never worked for me.  So if you find that you need to workout before everyone wakes up in your home then try it and see if it works.  That way you aren't rushed and you don't lose family time.  I look at that crazy morning hour as "me time." :-)  I've been doing it for almost 2 years now and I'm still not a morning person but I love my early morningn workouts.  I see the same people at the gym and I don't ever have to worry about someone being somewhere in the gym when I need to do a certain workout.  It's great and then all I have to worry about is eating properly and on schedule. :-)

• When you miss a workout, you miss a workout.  Don't stress yourself by doing it the next day or even doubling up by doing weights and cardio on the same day.  Even Bill Phillips said it in his book.  So tomorrow is a new day.  Do your cardio workout and pick up your schedule from there.  Just don't make it a habit as that of course will eventually work against you. :-)

• Oh and by the way, I can't get on here a lot either.  I just happen to be on a roll yesterday.  You'll find I'm on here in spurts.  If I'm not on and I get an email from this thread regarding a question and I feel I can help, I'll jump on and respond at some point during the day. :-)

One other important thing about our fitness goals is sleep.  We should get at least 8 hours, so with that said, I'm off for the evening.

• Back real quick for Wannabeme's question.  The answer regarding what to do if you miss a workout is on page 118 of the BFL book.  It's the first Q&A on the page.