Realistic Expectations

• Just bumping this bad boy back up to the top of the page for some of the new folks to read.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• I can't agree with you more. Many of us are blown away by the befores and afters of challengers that we forget that people come from different places of fitness and nutrition than us.

Another problem is distorted body image. i know I am big. It never dawned on me how really big I am. I know I will be devastated if I end up with mediocre results, but i keep telling myself results are results, and deep down in my heart I know that one or two challenges will not cut it. But I am still trying to out-exercise what I know will inevitably happen.

Thanks for the post. You are still my personal hero :o)

Courage isn't lack of fear. It's our ability to carry on despite our fear

• Julie,

Your friends most likely have noticed and may not want to say anything because it brings up there own issues regarding weight. Most of my friends notice and comment, one I rarely see says nothing and she had admitted she has really bad self esteem. No one is that clueless, maybe they need encouragement and will eventually get excited and ask for help.

Just a thought. Great Job.

Carrie

• Hi, Im new to this forum, in week 3 of BFL, so pleased when i read the post. I have been feeling a bit low and think wanted to see instant results because im working so hard. The pictures are very motivating though.

How often do you measure/weigh yourselves?? xkx

• I didn't find the scales useful on this program. I use measurements. I measured myself when i started and will measure myself again on week 6 and week 12.

• I agree with Ruby4444,

Use a tape measure. I personally have my body fat tested also. I haven't checked it in 2 weeks. I had a feverish kid so I will be checking at week 6. I am down from 27% to 24.3% the scale tells a sadder story. So put it on a high shelf and let your clothes and tape measure be your guide. I am taking that energy and putting it into food planning and not scale reading. It is also normal to be "down" and try to self sabatoge as you get close to your goal. Remind yourself what drove you in week one and recapture that and continue through to a better day. Even the best athletes have bad days and self doubt, they have coaches to talk them up. You have to be your own coach!!!! Good Luck!!

Carrie

• On the same topic, kimchic, I have a friend of mine who is 5"5 and weighs 223 pounds . Numbers don't lie? His body fat is below 14% and his waist line is 32 inches. Building muscle will increase your weight but you will be in great shape regardless.

• Thanks guys, thats really encouraging. Off for my upper body workout today with a new motivation boost. Glad I have joined this forum. Only thing Im having difficulty with is creating a new discussion topic, how do I do this?? xkx

• Yep, I agree, the first challexnge was that, a challenge!!!   LOTS of changes for me, from eating right, to exercising etc etc.  This is  a person that hasnt ever eaten vaggies!!   Well about 6 months later (almost 2 challenges down)  it's become my new life.   This is my FOR LIFE!!!    Sure,I'll still have days, but I know how to handle them now!!!   I dont get discouraged if I 'mess up'..I didnt mess up, I just wasnt productive, and need to change that!!   Have lost almost 60 lbs, and would love to get about 40 more off.   I still need  to work on super clean eating and and get better  strength training done!!   But still, dropping the weight, the blood pressure, the blood sugar all of that is worth TONS to me.  The muscle tone will come.  I just love being able to DO STUFF and not be worn out 30 seconds after starting!!!   Thank you BFL!!!  And thank you to those that post here!!!!!  You've been great!!!

• Kimchick

On top of the discussions, at the top of the page you will find this in bold:

Crossing the Abyss

Did You Know

Getting Started

My Transformation

The Gym

The Kitchen

Week 13 and Beyond

These are the categories. Choose the one fitting the topic you want to discuss. When you do, a new page will open and just under these topic to the right hand corner you will find the words "NEW POST" click on that and you're set to go.