Not sure about cardio levels...help please!

• I like to use the elliptical machine for my cardio workouts, and I'm not sure how to figure out what a level 5 is.  Would it have anything to do with the crossramp  and/or resitance on the elliptical?  I understand how to tell when you've hit a level 10 but with the level 5 I'm just not sure.  I'm going to be starting my challenge soon and I'm trying to plan it out I just want to be able to start on the right track. I'd really appreciate any help.

~Kelsey

• Kelsey-Congrats on starting a challenge! I used the elliptical while I was a member at the Y, but that was a while ago. But if I remember right, I increased the resistance and tried to increase my rpms with each interval. For instance I would warm up at resistance level 5 for the 2 minutes, then increase to 6, 7, 8, 9 for the one minute intervals then back down to 6 again, if I felt I could go higher on the resistance then I would maybe just take it to 7 then go to 8, 9, 10 for next set.  

Does that make sense??  But remember when you increase the resistance you are also working your legs pretty good and you don't want to fry them too bad; you want to work your heart so think about increasing your rpms as well.

Hope this helps! :0)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Kelsey - DebbieMO is correct.  Start at level 5 as your 2 minute warm-up and go from there.  Are you using the charts provided on this website or the Success Journal?  Both will help you follow along as you increase your resistence.  If the elliptical you are using has incline you can increase that too but you do not have to.  I usually do and keep it at one incline level while increasing the resistance levels.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Thank you both for your advice.  I'm still in the planing phase right now, but yeah I plan on using the charts to help me out.  I just wanted to be sure that I had everything together before I start my challenge.

• ok...had a post, but it got lost! So here it is again...

Kelsey, your first cardio might be trial and error because different machines vary; I did my home elliptical for the first time in a while yesterday and the resistance wouldn't work so instead of fighting it, I just increased the rpms

Make sure you write down after your workout, your levels, how you felt, if you could have increased your levels and speeds. This will help you when you schedule your next cardio!

Let us know when you get started! :0)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...