Supplement Questions

• Hi,

I'm looking to start my first challenge (preparing at the moment) and have a few supplement questions.

I'm very skinny, and looking to add as much mass / muscle as I can. If I follow the book's recommended products, it comes out to almost $200 of supplements that will last roughly... 3 weeks. When I check the store I see if they have a starter kit for building the most mass/muscle, I find: GOAL: Build Size & Strength (Which is what I want to do) but it has the original Myoplex and not the Myoplex Deluxe, also Phosphagen Elite and not HP. I'm assuming these aren't the best for building mass/muscle and I should instead spend the extra $50 to get the Deluxe / HP? $200 every 3 weeks is a bit much.

Also, I noticed people used shakes sometimes and then bars sometimes. I noticed with the shakes it was 53g of protein, whereas the bars are 23? What's the rule when deciding between a bar and a shake?

Sorry I have so many questions, I just want to make sure I have everything right before I jump.

Thanks in advance

• Hi AORsini!  What is your height and weight now

I think this question is best answered either by EAS - Please call them, their experts will tell you what you need to do, OR, BFLMIKE or one of the other champs, may see this and comment - Mike is the 2006 Champ.

As far as Bars Go.... as you've pointed out, the protein is not the right amount for a guy. You also need to factor in the fact that "bars" have "sugar alcohols" in them.  As a general rule, we have a few "handy" in case of an emergency.... they are better choices than a burger or fries or pizza, but not as good option as a shake or a balanced meal from natural food.

If you factor in a minimum of 1 gram of protein (probably more for you because you want to ADD a lot of muscle mass, I'm assuming the "fat" is not as big an issue as it is for most...) per pound of body weight then divide that by 6 - you will know how many grams of protein you need at each of the 6 meals.

Keep asking and someone with more specific experience will respond to you

Cheers Debs

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• I'm 5'11 and 130lbs. 

• Male or Female? It's ver slender, no matter what sex you are

Whichever it is, you need to call EAS, I don't know enough to say anymore, sorry.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• AOrsini-you can also purchase more affordable supplements at various websites-I've used allstarhealth.com  bodybuilding.com  and fitrx.com

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• I recommend that you eat as many of your meals as good quality whole foods.  I do recommend the phosphagen Elite if you are looking to gain mass.  In a perfect world we would be able to buy all the expensive stuff we think we need.  Instead pick a product to use and stick with it.  It just takes using one product to "officially" enter the challenge.  You can get plenty of good quality protein in the form of eggs, tuna and cottage cheese.  All very inexpensive.  Most gainer programs you see will also encourage you to have natural peanut butter as well.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Sorry, I've seem to have left out information each time I've posted :( I'm a male. I'm not terribly interested in competing in the competition, just interested in changing my body into the one I've always wanted. If there's a product substitute out there I can use for each and receive close to if not the same results for a cheaper price I would appreciate it very much if you could recommend some to me.

Thanks for all the responses so far, this community is beyond helpful!

• Would anyone be able to tell me if there are products cheaper than Myoplex that offer the same benefits?

• I'd recommend visiting your local GNC or health food stuff to find out other brands of meal replacement  and compare it with myoplex.  I find myoplex a tad too expensive for my budget so i bought a 6 lbs tub of chocolate protein powder.

• AOrsini: I did my first challenge with no supplements other than the Myoplex shakes. I too, as are most others, we are not in it to WIN anything other than a new body. ;)

So dont feel you HAVE to go out and buy expensive products, because in all reality, if you eat the clean foods off the original Body for Life authorized food list, drink your water and perhaps take a multi-vitamin, you will see dramatic changes.

It was once those changes started to happen to me, that I really got to believe in the process and found the money to buy what others were taking. Currently I take Betagen, fish oil and as of yesterday CLA. Both CLA and Fish oil are cheap, so you may want to consider them Whether you are on BFL or not, I believe they are helpful.

Keep posting! Yes this is a fabulous group. :)