STARTING JULY19

• EXCITED TO GET STARTED  ON BFL CHALLENGE. DID IT BEFORE IN 2000, BUT IN HINDSIGHT SEEING THINGS I COULD HAVE DONE FOR BETTER RESULTS.( RE-READ CROSSING THE ABYSS AND WORK HARD BUT AVOIDING INJURIES THAT KEPT ME FROM FINISHING A FEW TIMES.HAVE A FREE MEAL INSTEAD OF A FREE FOR ALL ON "FREE" DAY. MOST OF ALL PAY ATTENTION TO THE MENTAL ASPECT OF WHAT HELPS TO BE SUCCESSFUL). I'M 54, UNEMPLOYED FOR OVER A YEAR, FAR FROM MOST FAMILY EXCEPT MY HUSBAND, AND FEELING LIKE I NEED A CHALLENGE AND POSITIVE LIFE CHANGES. ANYONE ELSE STARTING NEXT WEEK? I AM DETERMINED TO GIVE 110% THIS TIME AND INTEND TO USE EVERYTHING AT MY DISPOSAL, INCLUDING THIS FORUM.GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

• I'm not starting a challenge next week, but I'm around most of the time.  Congratulations on the decision to do this.  You'll find all the motivation, a swift verbal kick in the pants if needed and the occassional controversial thread right here.  Along with making some lifelong lasting real life friends.

It's simple, eat clean 6 days on, enjoy free day reasonably, exercise by the book as hard as YOU can, get plenty of good sound sleep, drink lots of water and don't believe anyone that tells you that "you're too old, women don't lift weights, who cares what you look like"....Just do it for YOU.

And lastly, do not let your own mental limits keep you from working harder.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Hi Winner!

I'm starting on Monday, too. I successfully completed the challenge in 2004 but I've had another baby since then. I know that as long as I plan, follow my plan and eat every 2.5 hours it's easy to work this program. I'm heavier than I've ever been and I, too, am determined to make this challenge a success! I'll also be checking in regularly. Good luck!!

• Hi everyone!

I'm starting my first challenge on Monday the 19th also.  I just had my fourth child 2 months ago and I'm close to the 200lb mark.  I've never been this big and out of shape before.  I have very little energy and I want to change that.  I'm so determinedto lose this weight.  

I look forward to getting to know you guys and all of us reaching our goal together.

• I started the 18th.  So far so good.  I am 177 pounds, female and have 39% body fat.  I'm following the plan and doing the work.  I want to get to 25% bf this challenge and hopefully more the next.  I so far have had an  ubwo, lbwo, and 2 cardio workouts.  Cardio today was tough.  Lower body yesterday was good going and jogging today I certainly felt it.  I surprised myself though with actually being able to jog.  Moving is the key to sore muscles (just gotta remember that!)  Good luck everyone!  I look forward to helping each other out and hopefully keeping each other motivated~

• Great job Gadgets. I agree with you - moving is the key to sore muscles. I went to a friend's bday celebration last night and cheated w/ two glasses of wine and a little b-day dessert. I was a little disappointed in myself. But I'm not letting the setback bring me down. I got up early today and YES my cardio workout was extra hard - so I gave it extra effort. And now I feel much better. I think the key to setbacks is to just keep moving forward. Don't give the past any power in your present.

So about me - I'm 43, 5'4", 156. What I want more than anything out of this challenge is muscle tone in my legs! Secondly - I'd like to fit into my clothes again!

One last thing - I'm really disappointed in the recipes section of this site. It used to be very robust with members sharing recipes and BFL putting their stamp of approval on balanced recipes. Now, I think with the sale of the Eating for Life books, they've stolen all the recipes and are selling them in the books and only giving us a few on the site. Kind of steams my cheese, if you know what I mean. Any good sites out there for good recipes?

• Good Luck, everyone. I am starting next week (July26th), so I will be right behind you all; stepping on your heels :) I am so excited there so many people who are determined for a change. I count on all of you to be my inspiration for the next 12 weeks.

GO BodyForLifers !!!!!!!!!!!!

• It is really nice talking to people who are doing this.  It really engulfs you life and it is really nice for my boyfriend to get a break from by BFL talk!  Poor guy :)  He's supportive though and becoming more interested in portions and good foods.  Maybe he'll see some changes in lifestyle too!  

Welcome Indra to the challenge and it seems that you can get all the help you need here!  I know I'll help you where I can.  I'm a newbie but I'll share what I know.

LeeWhee-I got the eating for life book from the library.  I've heard conflicting things...is it for maintenance or for the program.  It seems to me that the book has both kinds of recipes and that you can switch out ingredients.  I agree that it would be nice to have a pile of recipes that just include food from the authorized list.

• Michelle,

I've been chomping at the bit wanting to thank you for posting my favorite quote.( I looked a couple of weeks ago for it's author online to no avail) I now know it's Henry Ford. There was a glitch when I would try to log in but it's straightened out now.When I'm really down about things which isn't often, I remind myself that "I can". Started Monday and it's going surprisingly well. I guess I'm really ready this time.Injuries impeded my progress in previous challenges. Not going to happen this time.

• Had a glitch in the login process but I'm good to go now. Stay motivated everybody. It's as hard as you want it to be. I am soooooo sore from lunges yesterday. Isn't it great? I'm making progress and only my 3rd day. Having done this before I was a little better prepared this time. Got all the right foods/supplements in the house before I started. Ordered EAS CLA online and shipped to the house last week. That stuff is great. It beats other brands hands down. Made a trip to Sam's club today for RTD AdvantEdge shakes. Had to drive 85 miles one way to get them. They also have the 5lb. bag of EAS Whey protein. I have to share my favorite dessert. Jello sugar free dark chocolate pudding ( in the refrigerated section), 2 med-lg sliced strawberries, 2 TBSP. light whipped cream. Oh so yummy and only about 80 cal. and 2.5 grams of fat. Only 2 gr. protein though. You could have a RTD with it and be in heaven.By the way, Sam's also has cocoa dusted almonds 38 oz. for 9.00 and change.I now have a new addiction. There just chocolatey enough and just barely sweet and only 150 cal per serving with 6 gr protein, 6gr carb, 3gr fiber, 1 gr sugar. It's just the perfect snack. But that's o.k. cause I gave up cigarettes and alcohol which were my pacifiers. On Sunday, my free day, I measure all of the snacks and such into individual servings in snack baggies so I don't over-do.It's not a bad idea to grill a bunch of boneless skinless chicken breasts

Those of you looking for recipes just keep in mind the lean proteins, the good fats, and complex carbs and make up your own. That's what I do. I modified my tacos to fit bfl the other night and they were pretty good. Instead of frying the tortillas I heated them in the skillet with cooking oil spray, 3oz. of 93% lean ground beef seasoned well( I stock up when it's on sale) or chicken *** seasoned well, lettuce, tomato, onion and a sprinkle of 2% fat cheese. Sometimes it's no fat refried beans and tortillas( the corn tortillas that don't have a lot of additives in them), with the trimmings.Salsa is pretty much a freebie. I also like italian diced tomatoes on ww pasta and 93% lean gr. beef, an fresh green beans on the side. The easiest dinner is 3-4 oz. lean meat, a small yukon gold potato w/light sour cream and chives, and steamed broccoli. I also make salmon patties with wild caught canned salmon. Take the bones out, mix with an egg, 2-4 saltines, green onions and pepper, make patties and cook in a skillet with cooking oil spray. Microwave a small sweet potato, sprinkle with cinnamon, and peas on the side.

It's not a bad idea to grill boneless skinless chicken breasts or lean ground beef patties on your free day either. Then you can divide them up into portions and freeze them so that you have handy meals during the week.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

• LeeWhee,  We hear your frustration about recipes. Our aim is to make that section useful to the community, so you can feel good about preparing the items listed there as part of your Challenge. To that end, we reviewed all of the recipes posted to make certain they were consistent with the recommendations in the Body-for-LIFE program. The twenty pages of recipes currently on the site are all official Body-for-LIFE recipes, which you can be confident using. We continue to add more such recipes, and hope you'll let us know which are your favorites.

Best,

The BFL Team

• Did upper body today.  Feel good and have more energy then the past couple of days.  I'm hitting my 10's which is great.  I was reading the success journal and inspirational words from Bill Phillips last night and he said that in the whole 12 weeks, there are 18 upper body workouts, 18 lower body workouts and 36 aerobic sessions!  I say "Give er!"   It's dedication and persistence.  And we all know...persistence pays off!

• How is everyone doing?

I stalled out for 2 weeks. Had a great run yesterday. I'm having a lot of trouble following my eating plan. I take the time to plan it the night before, I make sure I have all the ingredients. It comes time to eat and I don't want that. Or I get busy and I forget to eat on time then I get hungry and eat the wrong foods.

Anyway just checking in.

Leanne

• I'm still in...doing well even in the face of summer travel.  I'm eating a lot of myoplex bars when the right food isn't available.  I find that I have favourite carbs and proteins and I just choose one of each.  I plan dinner each day and breakfast is always the same.  The rest is grab favourites and go.  It works for me.  I'm down 2 pant sizes and the bathing suit that I bought at the beginning of the summer is too big now!  Yeah BFL!

Leanne...the good news is you're working out and getting back on track.  It's hard to maintain focus but I find little tricks that help.  1.  Always carry a myoplex bar.  2.  Journal every night (it helps me make better choices the next day), 3. Think about my goals.  4.  No matter how slow my progress feels...remember things are going the right way now...speed doesn't matter.  One day at a time!

Jen