HIIT Cardio...Week 1

• I want to make sure I am doing my cardio correctly. Can someone please clarify what they see level 5 - 10 to be. I have read so many different things on the internet and now I am confused. For example if using the treadmill....would level 5 be considered using the speed at 5.0 all the way up to speed 10.0? Those speeds for a newbie to the program seems a bit unrealistic and I will admit I can't run that fast. I want to get the most out of my cardio so please help!

Thanks!!

• Hey there! no, - the level on the machine - starting and ending points have nothing to do with YOUR FITNESS LEVEL AND CAPABILITY. Here is an example for an unfit person.....

If you are unfit, you may start of at

Level 3 for warm up for 2 minutes

Level 3.5 for 1 minute

Level 3.8 for 1 minute

Level 4.0 for 1 minute

Back down to level 3 for recover or level 3.2 for 1 minute

Level 3.5 for 1 minute

Level 4.0 for 1 minute

Level 4.2 for 1 minute

Level 5.0 for 1 minute

Back down to level 3.8 for 1 minute

Level 4.0 for 1 minute

Level 4.5 for 1 minute

Level 5.0 for 1 minute

Level 5.5 for 1 minute

Back down to Level 4.0 for 1 minute

Level 4.5 for 1 minute

Level 5.0 for 1 minute

Level 5.5 for 1 minute

Level 6.0 for 1 minute - high point - really at your limit here

cool down on 3.0...

Depends on where you are at - you need to play around for a couple of goes, you will soon get the hang of it!

ALL THE BEST!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• OMG you are a life saver. That's pretty much what I have been doing. I feel much better knowing that I was on the right path. I do this 3 times a week and no more, correct. The trainers at the gym I go to recommend cardio every day.

• Debs, that's similar to mine as well.. :) Glad to see I'm doing it right as well :)

• Debs, that is so helpful!!  I was wondering the same thing and now feel much better about my cardio.

• I was wondering that too? The book says cardio three times a week, why do trainers say everyday?? Anyone know the answer.

• Level 10 is the max you can run for a entire minute let's say that my maximum speed while running its 9.0 on the machine so i wanna start at 4.5 speed that would be my 5{half} of maximun effort so my level 10 {max} would be 9.0

• G'day people! Glad it helped you ! You will find that within just a few weeks you will be slowly raising and adjusting these levels - this type of training done correctly, quickly raises your ability to "ramp it up"!

You will here lots of conflicting info from trainers, family and friends, just keep in mind that this is a specific "all in program" - finely tuned to get you the best results in the shortest time - STICK TO THE PLAN and thank them for their interest, but you are on the BFL MISSION! hehe, sound like an evangelist don't I!  All the best to you all!

Here's a post by our "guru - BFLMIKE" about cardio.

The Cardio Trap!

by: Michael Harris  9/24/2007

Men and women definitely work out differently, most likely because of the essential anatomic differences and hormonal differences! For example, most men really lift weights more intensely than most women do. In the area of cardio, women seem to be much more dedicated and also more sold on the idea of doing lots of cardio and doing it daily.

What seems like a good idea, though, can really become a trap. What happens when you do lots of cardio is you create increasing physical efficiency in the body. When you exercise for a long time at a pulse rate elevated sufficiently to produce a cardio effect, this makes the heart, lungs and vascular system of the body more efficient. So, at rest your heart rate is slower; your respiration rate is slower, and your resting metabolic rate becomes much slower. The combination of all this is that you burn very little fat or calories at rest compared to most others. And, unless you continually raise the work rate at which you do cardio with your more efficient body, the actual amount of calories and fat burned during the workout will drop slightly as well.

Another thing that lengthy and/or daily cardio does is to discourage your body from gaining muscle and even promote the burning of muscle under some circumstances. So, for a person wishing to produce more body muscle, and to burn fat without burning muscle, lengthy cardio is NOT the way to go.

Hight intensity interval training will NOT get you fit in a way that will allow you to run 10 k races or compete in long events such as soccer games or basketball games, but it IS ideal for burning fat and preserving muscle at the same time.

On the other hand, high intensity interval training done three times a week is ideal, especially if done early in the morning in a fasted stated, having had no food for at least 8 hours. The fasted state encourages the immediate burning of body fat since there is little sugar in the blood or in the muscle and liver stores. It is done intensely enough to create lots of body heat and thereby burn lots of fat, and not muscle. Further, it just doesn’t let you get into that efficiency trap in the same way that the long slower cardio does.

For creating a lean and sculpted body, there is nothing like HIIT cardio.

SOME POSTS FROM THE OLD GB ON HITTING YOUR 10!

Mike

Hi everybody, Day 18 today, up at 4am for a great cardio workout. One thing I’ve discoverd in the last 2 1/2 weeks is that if I complete my cardio, or the sets in my weight training sessions where I am going for a level 10, and I have to ask myself, "Was that a level 10?", it probably wasn’t. When I do hit a TRUE level 10, there is absolutely no doubt, and I don’t even need to ask myself the question. I can also "feel" it. It’s something that lasts only a very short moment, but it takes my body and mind to a place that is quite different from what I am used to. No doubt about it when I truly get there, and it’s very addictive - I’m beginning to see myself achieving TRUE level 10’s in my mind’s eye even before I walk into the gym. Something tells me that this is a very huge and very important part of a successful transformation!!! Have a great day everybody... Mike

Mike

3/10/2010

Mike you are absolutely correct, at least I think so. :-) Sharon--Wonder-Woman

3/10/2010

E-mail Me

Mike: I agree with you too. To hit our 10’s is a conscious choice. When I was doing my lunges this morning, my legs were screaming and I talked myself through the last 3 reps to get to all reps!! I made them hard, but I did it. I kept telling myself that this challenge I need to hit some noticeable goals and beat this ghost of mine that is holding me back from attaining them. BFL is alot of self-talk, self-love, and self-determination. No one can do this for anyone but themselves, and sometimes that is what makes it hard. It is easeier for me to give to others, and I have to keep reminding myself, I need to do this for ME. Way to get to that point already Mike. It’s taking me awhile to get to today. I feel it though - this is the ONE. Legs

3/10/2010

Mike and Legs you’ve both stated things really well. you know when you hit a 10–you have to talk, grunt, groan or cry your way through the last few moves. There’s no guessing if you could do another rep or step or lap whatever. You know. I also think that a big part of BFL is talking to yourself, pushing yourself like you said Legs. We always give and cheer on others, now it’s our turn. DebbieL

3/10/2010

E-mail Me

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• Thanks for the Michael Harris-Cardio trap article.  That really helped!!!

• I agree with healthygirl! I'm excited to see what I will look like in 12 weeks by following this program.

• Glad you like the post Healthy girl and Want to be toned!  And the best thing about your "names", is you can't go wrong if you follow this plan! DO IT AND DO IT BY THE BOOK!  I think there is a post about that....

Buy the Book and Do It–By the Book!

by: Michael Harris  1/3/08 a rerun from 3/29/2007

Each year, more people are trying to do body for life without reading the book Body for Life. While the website is a wealth of information, and the videos, booklets and other literature are superb, there is really no substitute for the book insofar as an overview of nutrition and exercise principles, specific recommendations to follow in setting goals, resisting adversity, and getting more out of yourself than you ever imagined you could.

I’ve talked to those who haven’t read the book and they tell me unanimously that they know enough to do this right. The problem is that they DON’T know enough to even know what they are missing. They might know what they are doing, but they don’t know WHY they are doing it. So, the first time something new comes along, they are apt to follow that. Lack of knowledge produces instability. Instability produces chaos. And chaos produces failure.

"Tweaks" seem to be the most common abuses of those who haven’t read the book. People introduce extra cardio, or different diet plans combined with the BFL exercise program, or different exercise plans combined with the BFL diet. These seem to be the most common variations. And if you haven’t read the book, you just don’t know why doing this is counterproductive to your best efforts.

But, you argue, "this is a one-size fits all plan, and I want one that works perfectly for ME! I want to get fit right away and completely maximize my efforts." That’s a great idea, but it’s also way too simplistic and unrealistic. What you need isn’t the perfect plan for you--you need a plan you can follow perfectly. See, even if there was a perfect plan for you, no one could know for certain what that would be like.

The book supplies ALL the foundational knowledge. It tells you exactly what the abyss is, and why if you don’t cross it you’ll go nowhere. You’ll learn the differences between goals and dreams, between habits that help you and habits that hold you back, and what’s meant by future vision, and why it’s important. You’ll know exactly how to carefully and completely develop the goals for your challenge. You’ll understand perfectly (even though you might still have the urge to throw in extra cardio) exactly why that’s not a good idea, and exactly why weight training is absolutely the best way to fight fat!

Even more importantly, you will understand exactly why rest is so important, why long workouts are counterproductive, and why it is important to choose nutrition sources wisely. You’ll have all the tools you need, and you’ll have the manual that tells you how and why to use those tools to maximize your body for life efforts.

You’ll also receive the unvarnished truth about why so many other diet plans and exercise regimens just don’t work long term.

And, there are the great stories! if you read them again and again, you’ll find bottomless inspiration in the true stories of those whose lives have been forever changed by body for life. You’ll see that the greatest and most life-changing reward they received was not the championship at all.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• Aussie-Debs,

You are so right about the online vs. the book!!   I have just started to re-read the book and I am finding there are certain points I missed or did not pick up the first time.  I tried to do BFL one time years ago just with the online stuff and it didn't work, I quit. I feel it was mainly because I felt I was eating to much.  The Book really helped me the second time around I lost 21lbs my first challenge, I stuck strictly to "the BOOK" even though their were people telling me I was exercising wrong and I was going to get huge muscles and manly.

BOY, DID I PROVE THEM WRONG!!! :)

I am now on my second challenge after almost a year away from being strict. However I did still follow the BFL eating and exercise plan most of that time. I just didn't track days or exercise specifics. I was having major trouble with my thyroid and some days could barely get out of bed and then would need a two hour nap later. So there were many days of no exercise at all. However I still maintained my weight loss, with a Huge Fight!!

Now I got things corrected and I am back on track. I would like to lose another 10-15 lbs.  It's weird this time I feel like there is something more I should be doing. STUPID on my part! I know what works so I should stick to it. Thanks You for the great reminder. It is totally what I needed. This website has really been helping through this challenge. Thanks Again!!

• NEWBIES - BUMPING THIS UP TO THE TOP  BECAUSE THERE A LOT OF "SINGLE POST QUESTIONS ABOUT CARDIO" - There are a lot of threads on here - if you want the BEST RESPONSE FROM THE MOST EXPERIENCED PEOPLE - PLEASE GO TO THE MAIN FORUM AND ASK THEIR!  "Faithful GBr's - the one with all the posts - thank you!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!