Starting out...4 days into Week 1

• I started the program on Monday. I have a couple of questions for people who are already doing the program. I am not really overweight by much (5"6" @ 141 lbs)  but would like to lose about 5 to10lbs, tone by stomach and legs. I have been eating as much as I can each day as I admit it is hard to remember to eat when I should. The workout program is awesome, however I have been doing the cardio part every day. I usually do my cardio either during lunch at the gym or after work after I do my weight sessions. Is that a bad thing?  I also wanted to know if it was a necessary to buy and use the products mentioned in the Starter pack for Lean and Tone? I am going to the beach June 7th and I am determined to look good in my bathing suit....minus my little love handles. I have enjoyed how working out has made me feel. Any advice is helpful.

• I also do cardio everyday even though BFL only calls for 3 days a week. Optimal time to do cardio is in the morning when you first wake up before you eat anything so your body will burn stored fat since it doesnt have the food its looking to get energy from. If thats not an option then do cardio 3 hours after your last meal.

I usually do weights before cardio because I want to get the most out of my weight sessions. I also alternate by doing upper body cardio (swimming or row machine) on my lower body weight training days and lower body cardio (running or bicycling) on my upper body weight training days. I feel that helps me get the most from muscles before they get to fatigued.

Sounds like your well on your way to being swim suite ready by June. Keep it up!

• Want to be toned,

Welcome to the site. Well we both started this on Monday. Can I say WOW I've come a long way in 4 days just in knowledge. So I may get this wrong, but from what I've read and been told Cardio everyday is a NO NO.. The reason is that you have to give yourself time to recover.

Also are you doing the HIIT cardio or are you just running/riding/cardioing for endurance and long times? Reason I ask is because someone posted the below in a thread I started. I found it very interesting.

might be of help.. OH and as for the products, I don't use Myoplex or CLA from EAS. So I think you can do this with out using their products. But remember, I'm as new as you so I hope I don't lead you down the wrong path, and if I do I hope someone corrects me so I learn as well. :)

The Cardio Trap!

by: Michael Harris 9/24/2007

Men and women definitely work out differently, most likely because of the essential anatomic differences and hormonal differences! For example, most men really lift weights more intensely than most women do. In the area of cardio, women seem to be much more dedicated and also more sold on the idea of doing lots of cardio and doing it daily.

What seems like a good idea, though, can really become a trap. What happens when you do lots of cardio is you create increasing physical efficiency in the body. When you exercise for a long time at a pulse rate elevated sufficiently to produce a cardio effect, this makes the heart, lungs and vascular system of the body more efficient. So, at rest your heart rate is slower; your respiration rate is slower, and your resting metabolic rate becomes much slower. The combination of all this is that you burn very little fat or calories at rest compared to most others. And, unless you continually raise the work rate at which you do cardio with your more efficient body, the actual amount of calories and fat burned during the workout will drop slightly as well.

Another thing that lengthy and/or daily cardio does is to discourage your body from gaining muscle and even promote the burning of muscle under some circumstances. So, for a person wishing to produce more body muscle, and to burn fat without burning muscle, lengthy cardio is NOT the way to go. Hight intensity interval training will NOT get you fit in a way that will allow you to run 10 k races or compete in long events such as soccer games or basketball games, but it IS ideal for burning fat and preserving muscle at the same time.

On the other hand, high intensity interval training done three times a week is ideal, especially if done early in the morning in a fasted stated, having had no food for at least 8 hours. The fasted state encourages the immediate burning of body fat since there is little sugar in the blood or in the muscle and liver stores. It is done intensely enough to create lots of body heat and thereby burn lots of fat, and not muscle. Further, it just doesn’t let you get into that efficiency trap in the same way that the long slower cardio does.

For creating a lean and sculpted body, there is nothing like HIIT cardio.

• Excellent post Chipster!

• I was just walking on the treadmill or doing they cycle for long periods of time but I changed that on Monday and started doing the HIIT cardio. I just want to make sure that I am not hurting my progress by doing too much. Should I take my HIIT cardio down to 3 times a week?

• Personally, I would take it to 3 days a week... Yes I know it seems ODD, but as a lot of people say here, Follow the plan in the book and you will see results :)

Lord know I HOPE that's TRUE :)

Chip

• Want to be toned,

Yes, you should.  Why?  Because if you are doing high intensity cardio more than 3 times a week especially if you are hitting your higher levels of intensities, you are going to suffer the effects of overtraining.  You'll also start to lose your muscle.  20 minutes of HIIT will work wonders done 3 times a week.

• I would also like to add to Stephanie-AL's post that the fatigue from over training hits hard and fast and in the most unexpected ways for women.  You become lathargic, whiney and develop "I don't care" attitude that can be a true challenge killer.  The more overtraining you do in the first few weeks, the more fatigued you become midways through the challenge and trust me when I say it's hard enough with out extra stuff.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• I concur with Michelle and Stephanie!! Plus we don't want to be like "old wet hens", right Michelle-cluck, cluck! lol! :)  I can't remember who put the "clucking" on the GB, but it made me laugh!! :0)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• I appreciate everyone's advice. I am gettng conflicting information regarding the HIIT cardio. I have been alternating mine between the bike and treadmill. Can anyone tell me what they do for their cardio workouts? If you do the treadmill or the bike, what speeds or levels do you usually do?

• Regarding remembering to eat, set alarms on your cell phone and your computers (work and home) so you don't forget to eat every 2-3 hours.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!