Supplements~Meal Replacements~Vitamins - Q & A

• I thought this might be a helpful forum for conversation about supplements, meal replacements and vitamins. EAS representatives are extremely helpful. They can be reached at (800) 297-9776.

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• Oh fish oil Queen!

Major brain bubble here. The CLA is not the same as the fish oil, correct? I have been thinking they were the same form all along. It only took me 12 weeks to figure this out :-) Anyways, you have recommended certain brands in the past. Can you hook me up with that information again please? My shoulders are crickin and crackin.

Thanks Jessica Mighty Max! You rock!

Keep the faith!

• Renee! What are you still doing up you "night owl" hehe!   Great thread by the way!

BETAGEN:  Seeing as though I can't call EAS without it costing me a bomb, can I please have input from the "guru's"...

50 yr old, within a few pounds of goal weight, suggestions for dossage, timing etc please!  and would it be any different if I had a lot of fat to lose still? cheers!  Catch you in your am!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• I'm not the Miss Jess - Fish Oil and lots of other facts "guru", but dear Jess always recommends "Carlsons" for you yanks.  I LOVE "Ethical Nutrients - High Strength Tropical" fish oil, don't know if you can get it there though!

Ps/ For those that can't handle the "fishy deal" and want to read about CLA - go to the Q & A section on this site (Under the Library tab) - it has a good article on CLA. Cheers!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• Hello Dearest Debs~

Weird day. Got a nap in earlier. Will get one in tomorrow too :-) Just got back from the gym completing my final UBWO for C1.

Here's what I have heard about Betagen. For women, 2 scoops 2 times a day is suggested. This is only if you are truly hitting your 10's. My understanding is that this product has nothing to do with fat loss. It increases lean mass and strength and aids in reducing muscle protein breakdown.

I do 2 scoops with meal 1 and 2 scoops just before my workout.

I was doing 3 servings a day before BFLMike chimed in and said that 2 is all that women really need.

I would love to hear other thoughts on this. I don't pretend to be a supplement guru. Just passing on the suggestions I have received from others.

Keep the faith!

• Thanks Renee! Sounds about what I remember too - will be taking Betagen on my 4th challenge starting mid May sometime.

Not many workouts to go now for you superwoman!  It's just gone 11.00pm there hasn't it?  It's 5.00pm, I'm off for a walk shortly! Sweet Dreams!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• Thank God I copied some of this before THE CHANGE!

Basic Supplementation for Ladies and Guys!

by: Michael Harris  2/25/2008

Supplementation is the third leg of the BFL stool, the first two being:

1. adhering to the 6 small meals a day diet, and,

2. doing high intensity exercise six days a week, with three resistance training sessions and three cardio sessions. But, what exactly should a trainee be using for her supplements?

To avoid confusion during the first challenge, Bill Phillips recommended using only the meal replacement supplements, a couple a day. That would be Myoplex Lite for women and Myoplex original or Myoplex deluxe for men. These are great sources of high quality whey protein, good carbohydrates and each shake has half the minerals and vitamins you need for the day.

For those who are in second or subsequent challenges, or who want to absolutely maximize their results and are not afraid of getting stronger by getting more muscle, here is what I recommend.

For ladies, Betagen twice a day, every day. One dose should be right after your workout and the other can be whenever you want. This will give you a supply of creatine for increasing muscle and decreasing recovery time, glutamine for helping with workout recovery, and HMB which does a lot of things, including the strength with which you work out. Understand please that the Betagen recommended dose is three a day, but for women two is enough, and it will really help. Sylvia Bortmann used Betagen throughout her challenge and still does. She swears by it. Why every day? Your muscles need it, that’s why!

Some ladies also use Thermodynamx, the EAS fat burner that helps with appetite suppression and raising the metabolic rate a bit. To me, it is a fairly minimal effect overall, and some people complain of heartburn or sleeplessness from it. The stuff is high quality, but it is more the nature of it that causes these symptoms. I think CLA probably works as well and has absolutely no side effects.

For guys, a full complement of Betagen works well--Bill Phillips takes it according to the original book. Or, to kick it up a notch, you might consider doing what I do, taking both Muscle Armor and Phosphagen Elite. These give you maximum recovery efforts from the MA, and excellent muscle growth and workout strength from the Phosphagen Elite. THe PE has not only creatine but also has beta alanine which will keep you from getting the lactic acid burn that occurs in calves, biceps and triceps and sometimes other muscles. SInce the burn is less because there is less lactic acid formed, then you can get a few more reps which makes for bigger muscles next time. If you combine MA and PE you will probably only need one dose of each a day, rather than the two that each of them recommend. Or, you could do what I do, as recommended by Brian Deeds of EAS, and that is to add a liquid or powder whey protein isolate to the supplement (use a compatible flavor) and make the supplementation a meal replacement instead. One scoop of orange flavored whey protein isolate and a scoop of orange PE, blended in a shaker cup, tastes a lot like an orange julius and is really the bomb. I can do the same thing with MA, only using a lemon flavor of WPI.

I usually take the PE before the workout and the MA after or at the end of the day. I realize that most people recommend PE after the workout, but it seems to work very well this way, And you have a ready supply of quickly digested protein (Whey protein isolate is the fastest digested protein there is).

There you have it, a quick primer on basics for women and guys!

• I think BFLMike changed that to 3 times a day for women also after speaking with some of the EAS people.  If I remember right, 3 doses a day is too much creatine for women, but it's I think the HMB that we still need to take 3 doses a day to get what we need.    We need to corral BFLMike and ask him.

• I have been taking Betegan 3x daily since beginning of Challenge 2. I like it. :)

Get out the lasso  out Stephanie!

• Debs (and all other ladies)--

STEPHANIE-AL is right. Betagen shoudl be taken 3 times daily, regardless of whether you are a man or a woman.  In order to yield the intended benefits of HMB, you need to consume 3g daily.  There is 1g of HMB per serving of Betagen....thus 1g x 3 servings is appopriate to yield the 3g HMB per day.  Why is HMB so important? That is the ingredient which preserves, protects and thus defines all that lean tone you are working so hard in the gym to achieve!!

A small correction to the comment about 3 servings of Betagen delivering way too much creatine for women.  This is, to my best knowledge, false.  Did you know that the body already naturally produces 2g of creatine on its own on a daily basis?  When the body is put under stress of typical movement of your typical day, some of that natural creatine is depleted.  When you put your body under even MORE stress by engaging in intense phsyical activity (ie. HIIT, UBWO, LBWO), the creatine supply is depleted even MORE.  Therefore, the body may not be able to keep up with the natural supply and administartion of 2g of creatine.  Betagen, notice, delivers 2g of creatine per serving.  This is to help uphold the continual supply of 2g of creatine within the body.  Why is creatine so important?  It helps create a well-hydrated environment with plenty of natural energy in the form of phosphate molecues for the muscle cells to perform optimally during a workout.  Hydrated muscles are happy muscles!  :)

I hope this helps!

• FitBuckeye is dead on!  We were told by the gracious ladies from EAS in Knoxville that women should be taking Betagen by the package directions which is 2 scoops 3 x per day.  They were very helpful and could answer any twisted questions we threw at them.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Great Info, FitBuckeye!!! Thanks!  Will definitely be using it 3x per day when I start 2nd challenge on Monday!

:0)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Couldn't help but notice.  I haven't begun my first challenge yet.  Still collecting all info to ensure I plan for all 12 weeks correctly.  Is there an EAS store in Knoxville?  Please let me know.  Thanks

• BetaGen

BetaGen was designed to: Increase Lean Mass and Strength, Suppress Muscle Protein Breakdown Following Exercise, and to Enhance Muscle Energetics and Recuperation.

I mix two scoops of BetaGen in a 16 oz bottle of water, and drink I it about 20 to 30 minutes before I workout, and I drink another serving either right after I workout, or later in the evening! I drink it everyday, even on free days! I often mix my after workout Betagen with my Myoplex lite shake. I actually like the way it taste this way. I also like, and use both flavors.

Betagen helps me to lift heavier with less soreness. And it also helps my muscles to heal and grow faster. I would not workout without it.

General Nutrition: One Serving = Two Level Scoops

Calories 20

Calories from Fat 0

Total Fat 0 g

Sugars 0 g

Cholesterol mg

Total Carbohydrate 5 g

Protein 0 g

Taurine 500 mg

Creatine Monohydrate 2 g

Calcium HMB 1 g

L-Glutamine 2 g

Calcium (from calcium HMB) 140 mg

Pantothenic Acid 2.5 mg

Niacin 5 mg

Vitamin B6 500 mg

Vitamin B12 1.5 mcg

Folic Acid 100 mcg

Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 500 mg

Vitamin E (as dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate) 200 IU

Thiamin 380 mcg

Riboflavin 425 mcg

Hugs,

Sylvia Bortman

2006 BFL Grand Champion Women's 50+

• THANKS EVERYONE! 

I KNOW THAT IS A QUESTION THAT GETS ASKED OVER AND OVER!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!