The evil scale....

• We all know the scale is bad but, as with all habits, not getting on everyday, week or month is tough to stop. We know we feel and look thinner but there is always a voice in our head that "just wants to check". Well while your contemplating this checking have a think about this:

If you are happy with the way you look and feel, and you feel like you are improving your fitness and strength, then continue doing what you are doing - what difference does a number make if you feel it. Exercise works, and every minute of movement helps your health in some way. Weight loss through working out may be slower than you want, but it’s likely to be a longer term solution and a healthier way to trim down and shape up.

With this in mind I would like to propose a sub challenge, open to anyone whether on day 1 or 50 of C1 or C4, to not weight themselves until day 84 and only then if really must. Take measurements, body fat measures and photos regularly but DO NOT given and just check because despite the fact you see what you want in the mirror u probably wont on the scales.

Finally I would like to repeat that Michelle aka Champster09 has dropped 2 pants sizes in the last year and not lost a single pound of scale weight so STAY AWAY FROM THE SCALES!!!!

Who's in?

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• Hiyas Sian!  I love my scale!!!  It motivates me and gives me good news.  I know not everyone feels the same.

Good luck on your scale-free challenge.

• I wish i could say the same James lol. Seeing the scale moving is a great motivator definately but a lot of people, myself included (i'd lost 1lb at week 4), although seeing huge gains in their measures and fat loss arent seeing the scale move. Everyone is doing their own challenge so whatever works best, just wanted to give some support to the other people struggling with it like me lol

P.s awesome results in challenge 1, pics look great x

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• I think it's important to check the weight because it is another measurement you do want to follow, especially if you are someone in your first challenge and one that needs more than one to get to your goal.  I suggest it's better to weigh every 3-4 weeks because you do see changes that way rather than once a week or even every day.

The scale isn't so evil as it is your body adjusting to what you are doing to it.  We just aren't patient enough to wait for the adjustment before getting on the scale to see if a change has happened in a few days.  We are used to the quick fix programs where we'll see the scale weight change.  Old habits are hard to break. :-)  I also did not lose any weight around challenge 5 but did change sizes.  I think as you progress you may experience that but it is very rare for anyone who is in the beginning stages of working towards their goal to not change sizes if they are giving the program an honest effort.  There was a case of a woman who did an entire 12 week challenge and only lost 3lbs (don't know about her sizes) but you wouldn't know it looking at her (she looked great!) it is rare but it apparently can happen. :-)

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• I agree with how in the end you shouldn't worry about the scale, because there are such great changes going on besides pounds lost.  For the first couple of weeks though, when those changes aren't that visible, I think that it's nice to see the numbers.  That way even if you're not seeing any physical changes, you can be proud of yourself saying that you have lost weight, or at least haven't gained.

• Ohh thank you for the awesome insights here. I wish I could go scale-less for a long duration but it helps to kick my butt into gear if I've over eaten for a day or two. It's weird but sometimes seeing a slight 1-2 pound increase on the scale (be it fat or water or whatever) triggers something and then I end up eating relatively clean for the next few days which drops my weight back to what it was. The key now is to make clean eating a habit so I won't need the psychological trigger and actually lose fat not just maintain.

I will definitely plan on weighing myself once a week perhaps every Sunday from now on, but also take my measurements down so I am not only focused on what the scale says.

Thanks Sharon for the link to this tread. :)