65 years old and weak

• Is it possible to rejuevenate my body and mind? I can hardly do squats without weights let alone with weights and my balance isn't good. I have periferal artery desease in my legs and I'm pretty weak all over. I think I have the will to do this program but I could use some encouragement. Thanks

• Absolutely it is - you will need to be patient and persistant thats all...  Our resident "champ" - BFLMIKE, is 64 now, he became a champ here in 2006 and overcame many physical problems at the same time.  There is also our buddy - JEFF-HAPPYPANTS, he is 62 and a great guy - seek them out, do your research, be easy with your body, keep your mind strong and you can do it!

All the best mate!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• Hopeful:  I like your name!  And you have plenty to be hopeful for.  Studies show that increased strength through weight training can be achieved at ANY age.  My suggestion would be to 1) make sure you get clearance from your doctor and 2) start with light weights if you haven't lifted for years so your connective tissues have a chance to adapt.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to enlist the help of a qualified trainer for a session or two just to be sure your form is good.  Pretty soon you'll be able to change your name to "Convinced Guy"!

• Thanks Debs, I'm going for it and I'll do my research,

• There's a gym very close and I'll check with a trainer. Thanks

• Good Evening Hopeful Guy!

Welcome to the BFL community! And Congratulations on taking charge of your life!

You have a positive user name for a positive start! I love it!

You will find lots of great advice, support, and encouragement here, please come here often!

Make sure that you get clearance from your doctor! Start slow and work your way up! Remember baby step!

If you stick with BFL you will see amazing results, I promise!

I can relate to the problems with balance, I have always had balance problems. But following the BFL lifestyle has made a huge difference in my balance!

Keep us posted, we do care! Best wishes to you! I am cheering for you!

Hugs

Sylvia Bortman

2006 BFL Grand Champion Women's 50+

• Encouragement you've got Hopeful guy! You don't have to do squats. There are a world of great quad exercises that you could do. You could consider going really light on the leg press for your first go.

Stick around here! You will get a WORLD OF ENCOURAGEMENT!

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• Sylvia:  So glad to see you're back on the forum!!!  You have been missed!  Hope you have been well.

• Hi Beth! It is great to see you again too! Lots of Hugs to you my friend!

Sylvia Bortman

2006 BFL Grand Champion Women's 50+

• Hopeful.  I agree with what everyone has posted so far.  I was only 42 and had quite a few health issues when I started doing BFL again.  I had to work my way up to doing intense workouts.  I mean I started out slooowly, but even so I made steady progress.  I am so glad I did.  It is amazing the difference BFL has made in my life.  You can do this.

• the answer to your question is a resound YES!.  It will take some time but you can get back in shape with a consistent, intelligent  effort.  Don't go over board.  If yyou can't use weights yet, don't.  Just do the exerciees and cardio as indicated.  I am always shocked by how quickly  my body falls apart if I don't workout for aas short a time as a week.  Everything good takes longer, and everything bad happens faster as we get older.  BUT you can totally turn around the "falling apart" syndrome.  Just get started and keep moving forward.

iIT CAN BE DONE, YOU ARE NOT TOO OLD, YOU CAN DO IT

jJeff Happy Pants

10's in exercise and nutrition = 10's in life