Getting started

• I just finished the second BFL book.  I haven't read the first one, but feel like I have a great idea of what I need to do to complete the BFL program.  I have sat down & wrote out my meals & my workouts.  I must say I am a little freaked out about eating so much food.  I typically eat 1100 or less calories a day & run 4-6 miles three days a week.  My body has stopped losing weight & I am not nearly as toned as I want to be.  I am a 5'1" female who weighs anywhere from 118 to 120.  I am hoping I do not gain weight by changing my routine and increasing my calories.  I really did not want to spend the money on the protein bars or shakes at this time.  Is it going to be possible for me to do the BFL plan without these things? 

Any suggestions and answers to my questions are greatly appreciated.  My goal start date is April 5th.

Thanks,

Dee

• My first suggestion is to read up regarding the scales before you start.  Building muscle mass of any type can cause you to reduce your overall size, yet go up in scale weight.  Muscle is much more dense than fat and takes up 1/3 of the space in your body that fat takes up.  However, there are quite a few ladies that have come through the BFL program that just can not get a grip on what the numbers on the scale do to them mentally.

You can't go wrong with BFL if you follow the plan and trust the process.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Thank you for your feedback!

• Hi Dee!

Welcome to the BFL community! And Congratulations on starting your journey with BFL!I am also 5'1, and I had great results with BFL! Follow the program to a T and you will see amazing results. Just make sure that you use the correct portion size for you! Follow the palm/fist measurement for your food. Carbs are about the size of your fist and your protein about the size of your palm. On some items you might have larger portions. For example: when I eat a green salad I eat a larger portion because it is so low in calories. Just be careful of salad dressings, many are high in calories. I also eat a larger portion of egg whites, which I usually have between 5 to 6 egg whites. I am sure that you get the idea. If you have any questions just ask away!

Drink lots of water! And Give it your all!

I am cheering for you! Come here often for great advice, support and encouragement!

Hugs,

Sylvia Bortman

2006 BFL Grand Champion Women's 50+

• Thank you so much for your support!  I am really excited to start the program.  Any suggestions you have please feel free to send them my way.  I will forsure be logging in on my first or second day on the program.  I may not sound so possitive then! LOL! 

• You will be amazed at how you will feel as you get stronger and stronger.  Be prepared to be sore and tired for a couple of weeks, but then that switches over to higher energy than before you started.  You will be just fine.  And eating more food will help speed your metabolism up to boot.

Congratulations on your decision!

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Dee,

I am looking forward to seeing your amazing transformaton! You Can Do it!!!

Hugs

Sylvia Bortman

2006 BFL Grand Champion Women's 50+

• Dee You can do this.  I agree with everything Sylvia and Michelle (Champster09) said.  The are both official BFL Champions.  With BFL eating too little is as bad if not worse than eating too much.  You are putting your body through very strenuous workouts and it needs the food/calories of proper nutrition.  You will need to consume more calories than you are now.  Pay attention to what Michelle said about the scale, some have gained a few pounds the first few weeks and were upset, but it is all a period of adjustment.  Most of the time their inches were down, clothes were looser, but because that number was up something had to be terribly wrong, but it wasn't.  The ones who stuck with it found that out.

If you are doing 20 minutes of High Instensity Interval Training (HIIT) and hitting your 10, 20 minutes is enough cardio.  You need to get the original BodyforLife book published in 1999.  It has a lot of good information in there that will be beneficial to understanding the whole BFL process.   That's all I can think of now.  We are here cheering you on.

• Thanks so much for all the advice.  I was at Borders yesterday & looked for the original BFL book.  They did not have it.  I plan on going to the library to get this.  I do want to read it, if for nothing else to keep me motivated.  I have also decided that after my first weigh in, I am going to stay off the scale for a couple of weeks.  I know how I am & don't want to freak out if I gain weight!!! I am still looking forward to the start of the program, but am also starting to stress a little about it.   I can say I am so encouraged by all the support that I have received so far from everyone!!! 

• Dee you can get the original book at Amazon.com for a much reduced price.  Even if you get a new book it's a good bit less than the cover price.  Happy reading!!!

• DEE , IF YOU DONT MIND , IM JUMPING ON YOUR STRING , I CANT FIND THE " EXERCISES" ON THE NEW WEB SITE ...I CANT SEEM TO FIND THEM ? ....LITTLE HELP .;

• Jamie ~

Click on the Library tab up top. There are inserts below it. Hope that helps.

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• THANKS DEE / RENEE ...