Question for Ladies Only!!!

• Good morning all BFL ladies...I have a girl question for you. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but like I've said in prior posts I have a extreme personality, this goes even for my PMS. I have started PMSing this week and honestly it is becoming really difficult to keep my eyes on the prize...I am bloated, and cranky and I feel like I'm wasting my time. While my rational thought process tells me this is not true, I am really having a hard time! If anyone of you have experienced this what type of things do you do to get through...And secondly...cramps are a major problem for me, has anyone encountered that problem, and if so what did you do to push through it?

I know leave it to me to ask something completely random like this, I just want to be prepared!!!!

*~*Success is hidden under a rock of hard work. Keep digging with patience; it's up to you, only*~*

• Yep. Been there. Just like a really intense workout...grit your teeth and you'll get through it. Those bloated days are mentally challenging. You just have to remind yourself that the bloat with pass with this period. I experienced more cramping during the challenge than I normally do. Yep...bummer. Chocolate chocolate chip Myoplex Lite bars are VERY helpful for the chocolate cravings. Trust that this is not the biggest hurdle you will encounter throughout your challenge. You just have to know that it will pass. Water! Water! Water!

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• Thanks Renee! I know I am going to need something chocolate! I might get me a myoplex bar here and there, I really like the mypoplex lite RTD's too (of course the chocolate ones)!

*~*Success is hidden under a rock of hard work. Keep digging with patience; it's up to you, only*~*

• Hi Jaycelynn!

Honestly, working out really helps my mood when I'm PMsing and just generally cranky.  Also, doing cardio really helps my cramps, too.  That and a couple of alleve ;)   Your mind is trying to play games with you, it's all a mind game... tell your mind to stop messing with your body and that you need to get to work :)    You'll get through it - will yourself to do it.

Heather

"Without struggle there is no growth"

• A peanut butter Myoplex Crisp bar and a good workout make me feel so much better.  It may be tough to get started, but working out can relieve cramps.  I usually get backaches too.  

• No offense to the bar lovers, I enjoy them too, but they certainly will not help your bloated feeling.  They are great on the tongue but will only agrivate your already bloated tummy.  Stick with a shake during TOM and also, working out will help relieve your cramps.  Remember, the only thing you will do when it passes is beat yourself up even more if you get off track.  Hang in there!!  

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• I agree with Michelle.  Try the shakes first and if you absolutely cannot go without the chocolate fix then try a bar.  For a lot of people they do add to the bloated feeling.  Drink extra water when you eat the bars.  One thing a chiropractor showed me to help with cramps is (you'll need someone to help you) to lie on the floor and have them put the heel/palms of their hands on your hips and slowly push down and out.  It stretches the ligaments and it helps with the cramps.  If I remember right (it's been 12 years), he said during a woman's cycle they tend to draw up, so you stretch them back out.  It does seem to help.  I hope it helps you.

• My first period of the challenge is always my toughest.   Though I love the bars, I'm inclined to agree with Michelle and Stephanie (both my daughters have those names!).  Adding more sugar to the equation is asking for more cravings for me.  PMS usually gets better as the weeks pass for me...or I'm just too focused to notice.  Keeping blood sugar stable and avoiding caffeine is the standard recommendation from the medical community.

• For every challenge I have done, I can't get past the feeling that comes with that time of month.  When the bloating and crankiness comes I always feel like I've failed somewhere along in the challenge.  Once that time passes so does that feeling.  I just keep it in my mind that it's only temporary and will last for just a week. Once it's gone, there is a little reward if you stay on track.  Usually the measurements are in the positive direction.  Looking forward to that gets me through.

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• J-

Extreme personalities call for extreme measures!

have you tried massage? hot tubbing or warm bath? trampoline or  bungee jumping? all help with bloating

try stretching out your back on a giant exercise ball,( works for me) also, to get your cranky out try beating the ball with all your might until you flop over the ball in exhaustion! results are amazing

cramps are tricky..low dose Motrin, recliner, tv remote, box of Puff and a few Lifetime movies can get your mind of them for a few hours. Better yet, try watching a medical/health channel that shows someone living with a chronic, incurable or freak of nature affliction that makes our girly cramps seem like a cakewalk.(perception/perspective)

don't get me started on the....what if you didn't have your period question?  you could endure pregnancy instead, gain 40-80 pounds of pure bliss,supersexy  stretch marks, heavenly hemerroids, plump swollen milk machines only to end it by having your special place become the exit for a miracle that will surely keep you sleepless, unshowered and on guard for only the next 20 years if you are lucky!

don't get me wrong-I love kids, have 2 even, It is possible I, too, have an extreme personality or extreme PMS, probably both! LOL If nothing else I hope you get a small giggle out of all this- who knows we may become great friends! Kat

Squats

• Hahahahaha LMAO Kat - love your sense of humour!  Great suggestions before that too!

Well, I have to say, after living BFL for over a year now, I no longer have "cramping". It's only been the last 3 months where that has finally stopped.  I'm 50 in June (safe to say there will be no boys around to read this... hehe) and I've been clotting for the past 2 years, not in peri menopause but it must be getting close.  

For me, personally, I believe it was ditching the alcohol and diet coke that has fixed me up, for others it could be bad sugar or carb addictions that alter the eostrogen levels in the body.... I think it took that long to correct my body and now it's happy until the big 'M" comes along, but my focus is optimal health and I "believe" whilst I'm on this track, that too will be a passing stage...

I also don't believe in giving power to the "menses", even when I was suffereing, I would use it as an opportunity to cuddle up with myself and hot water bottle on the couch and watch a movie and laugh or cry, I would find anything and everything to take my "mind" of the "reality" of what I was feeling, knowing it's only a phase...

Hope this helps - Cheers, Blessings and Hugs xxxxx

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• My periods used to be easy but have gotten worse on the challenge... sorry yours are so bad too!  Try to stay away from bloating foods and stay strong!

• Kat...LOL....your post for sure gave a giggle and some great insight!!!! I like the idea of punching the ball until I can't any longer...LOL....I actually love the punching bag and I go to town on it at least once a month.....I fell to temptation yesterday and drank a big ole Cherry Coke....Mind you I felt like t-toal crap shortly after. It's been almost two months since I drank a soda...I guess I was just having a me moment, who knows. Thank you everyone for your advice! I thought for sure I wasn't going to get a whole lot of response on this one, but this has been very helpful!!!

• I crave chocolate soooo bad. I usually get a myoplex lite bar in chocolate chocolate chip. Tastes just like the real thing <3 Yum