NEWBIES! Introduce Yourself Here so we don't miss you!

• Hey there! 

My name is Christine, I am 31, mother of 2 and a full time college student.

I am currently on day 11 of the BFL meal plan but I have been regularly working out since January of this year. I put in 6 days a week at the gym - 20 to 60 minutes of cardio daily and alternating between upper and lower body training.

I started my efforts in the gym with the intention of getting my old body back (as much as possible) since post 2nd baby hasn't been good to me!

I am 5'7" and I am 148.5 lbs. which isn't terrible but I'm not happy with the way I look and its all between my lower ribcage and my knees!!! I am aspiring to be around 130 lbs., but I am not even really concerned with weight... to be lean, toned and healthy are the most important factors.

Recently I have decided that I should set a much higher goal so that I push myself to stay on track... so now the main goal is to run a triathlon next year... in the mean time I have signed up for relay for cancer and a half marathon as "pre-trainers" for my big goal!

So far I have been doing ok on the BFL meal plan, although in the last 2 days it has been a challenge because I am starting to get bored with the same bland meals every day =) Anyone have any good suggestions for a cook book that falls in line with the BFL plan???

Well, wish me luck!

-C

• Motomamma - Great Job far!  I have similar goals.  I am going to run a sprint distance tri on June 20th of this year and a half marathon on June 6th.  Our biggest challenge is to be sure that we do not over train and that we fuel our bodies for our training.  I am following a running schedule in preparation for the half marathon and just ran a long run today of 8 miles, my longest milage ever!!  

My fat loss and body goals are a bit more that yours being that I am currently 152 lbs at 5'4".  I am working at losing at least 20 lbs by the tri.  Today is week 3 day 1 for me with my challenge ending on my tri date, June 20th.  

As far as a cookbook that would be support or follow the guidelines and ideals of BFL you should check out Eating For Life Cookbook which was writen by the Body for Life creator Bill Philips.  Another cookbook is Tosca Reno's Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook as well as the Clean Eating Cookbook.  

I wish you much success in your goals and the journey.  Feel free to follow me and I would love to follow your journey here at the BFL Forums as well.  

anewme2b

• Thanks anewme2b!

I look forward to following your journey as well! 8 miles is great!!!!!! I am not there yet, i really need to improve my breathing, I get winded fast!

-Christine

• Hi Jennifer So Cal - I'm Jennifer NorCal!  I finished C1  2 weeks ago and starting C2 tomorrow.  I lost 15 pounds but was not as 'good' as I thought I'd be over active rest and know I really need one to two more challenges to get to goal and make it more of a lifestyle.  But now I'm rested and ready to start again.  No words of wisdom, just laughing at the Jennifer SoCal/NorCal connection.

• Hi!  I did Body For Life a few years ago and LOVED IT!  Back then I had 2 small kids and a gym membership.  I'm at more of a disadvantage this time:  now I have 4 kids, one a teenager, two I homeschool, and a toddler.  No time for a gym membership!  Last time I did the challenge I was in decent shape because I was a runner, but wanted a more balanced level of fitness.  This time I'm about 20 pounds overweight, tired, out of shape and really needing to take back my health!

I can't wait to begin!

~shabbyrunner

• Hello. I am brand new to this program. Just starting today. I have never done non classes at the gym so photo copied the exercise pages and going to give it a try this am.  Any advice is appreciated...are there exercise videos to follow at home? Also are there any sites, books, etc for food lists, recipes, etc?  I am excited and a little nervous on how to do this...

• shabbyrunner the program still works just like it used to.  You'll do just fine, even with doing it at home.  I've seen plenty of the ladies that work out at home make just as good if not better transformations than those who work in the gym!!  Congrats on your decision.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Angela I highly recommend that if you don't already have either the Body-for-LIFE book or the Champions-for-LIFE book that you get one of them and read it before getting started.  There is key information about what you are trying to accomplish.  This site is also a wealth of knowledge, but it would be much better is you start with reading the book.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• hey.  good idea for the thread.  I am from Canada but I wanted to join this forum because there appears to be much more activity than the Canadian ones...so I did...apparently my ZIP is 11111 which is probably Springfield somewhere right?

Anyways. I finished the challenge and have created a thread in the "My Transformation" sub-forum with my pictures and some statistics.  Look forward to talking with everyone here and even helping out where I can.

• Hello Everyone,

My name is Mary Ann and I just started my second week of BFL...I have 80-90 pounds to lose.  I have followed this plan exactly as outlined the first week and so far no weight loss, I will measure again tonight to see if any inches have come off.

For any ladies here who started, and had never lifted a weight before, can you tell me what weight you started out lifting?  I'm not sure if I'm doing enough in that department, Cardio I have down pat.

Thank you!

Mary Ann

• Hi Mary Ann! Welcome to BFL! It's a great program!! :)  Has done wonders for me, not only physically but mostly mentally.

One of the biggest parts of this program is that you have to be PATIENT! I did successful challenges back in '01-'02 and saw great results, but because I didn't have my head in the right place in 05, 08, and early 09, my challenges were a bust. In December 09, I decided enough was enough and completed my "1st" challenge on 3/14 with pretty great results in my opinion      (-25# and 20 inches).

I only weighed and measured every 4 weeks so I wouldn't be "let down" if the scale didn't move or my clothes were still tight.  Many people will not see any major changes until after wk 8 which is where the patience comes in...I know it's hard to understand, but there are changes happening on the inside of your body right now-good changes which will benefit you in the future. So PLEASE be patient and TRUST the program!

You can go to mikeharris.org and read the "Ladies Success Document" It has tons of information about changes in women doing BFL.

On the wts., it will vary with women because overall strength. Make sure you document how many #'s you lift with every rep, then if you feel you can go up next time, make a note of that.  If on the last set of 12 it feels like you can't do it, then that is probably the right weight for you.

Glad the cardio is working for you!! :)

Wishing you the best! :)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...

• Hey thanks for the reply. I actually have the book and read it last night. I guess I just felt weird using the free weights and machines (not doing a class) and just doing the arms (first Monday was today).....so you really just do the upper body and leave the gym and then do lower body on Wednesday? Tomorrow is the 20 min aerobic so I am going to go for a walk/jog on the greenway by my house....but really just 20 mins? Also what about Abs?  I actually have an appt with a guy at the Y who is going to show me how to use the machines to do the exercises in the book...so that will help too. I just in past have always done a class or like a bootcamp never been on my own.   It is different to do the body a section at a time....

• Started BFL today! Feels great to say I started today, instead of I am going to start tomorrow or next Monday. There have been alot of tomorrows on my calender. Or more likely alot of excuses. None of them made me feel any better. But TODAY I feel POWERFUL!!    

• I'm not new but i'm new to this new website - confusing to me!  I have a question, thinking about doing raw food for challenge # 3, anyone done that or know anyone who has?  is there a better way to post this question?  Hey Debs i think i'll start around  may 3rd for ch 3.  xoxoxox

• Angela-yep, do everything by the book and you will see results...Have you already done your workout today? If so you should start feeling muscle soreness tonight and definitely in the morning, if not, I would crank it up a notch! You want to break down those muscle fibers so they can grow stronger later.

Yes, on Wednesday do your LBWO and cardio T, Th, and Sat. for 20 min-HIIT style!  Make sure it is the interval training though...Abs are done on the lower body days.

Be patient, you will get used to the process and you will be AMAZED at your progress! :)

DebMO :0)           Blessed to be a Blessing...