NEWBIES! Introduce Yourself Here so we don't miss you!

• WELCOME!  FROM THE MORNING COFFEE CREW - aka - Oldtimers!

If you are just beginning your BFL journey we are all here to give you the support you may not get elsewhere. 

• We will boost you up when you are flagging
    • We will put your "fears of failure" to rest
    • We will clarify issues that are stressing you
    • We will kick you in the bum if you need it
    • We will NEVER GIVE UP ON YOU!

So tell us briefly about you, what you want to achieve and in what time frame, what you have read to prepare for your challenge and what help you need right now!

Here is a summary from one of our "resident champions" - BFLMIKE! - Listen to him and you can't go wrong!

New – what to do – quick check list!

By: Mike Harris

The very first thing you need to do is to acquire a copy of and read from cover to cover the book, "Body for Life," by Bill Phillips.

The next thing to do is to register online for the challenge. You may have already done that, but if not, do it.  

Then, take before photos of yourself front and back, with swim trunks on that reveal your midriff and your upper legs as well. Take your measurements also – very important! 

Then, review the results of the champions by going to the Success Stories link at the top of the page on www.bodyforlife.com and go through them year by year until you find someone whose before photo looks like you, and whose after photo is what you want to look like.

Then, set your goals, making them objective, carefully defined, and attainable though tough. For example, "lose weight" is not a goal, it’s just an idea. Lose 25 pounds in 12 weeks is a goal, and one that is tough but attainable. Set several goals in various areas, weight loss, fat loss, inches loss, reading some book, or competing in a certain type of athletic event (triathlon, power lifting, whatever).  

Next, set your starting date, get a journal and put all this information and the photos into that journal. Get your shopping done this weekend; clean out your cupboards of all the unauthorized foods; plan all your meals and workouts, and get started!

Come back to the Community often for help, encouragement or questions! All the best to you.

Mike Harris, 2006 body for life champion and former fat guy!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• Hi everyone!  I'm a newbie to the forum.  I'm in week 7 of C1 and I proud to say that I'm doing well.  I've always loved my workouts so that's not too much of a struggle but controlling my food is another story.   I really need to interact with people who are going through the same program as I am.  Hope you don't mind if I share a bit myself.     I've been active for many years doing long distance endurance events - my latest passion is triathalon!  I've been doing them for 3 or so years.  Although I was always active, I never had my eating in control and even when I was trying to restrict my calories, I was eating packaged 'diet' foods.  My training and performance suffered and was still the chubby girl in the back of the pack of triathletes.  Pretty soon I got sick of that and as you can imagine, it's hard hauling extra fat up hills on the bike and running 13 miles with a couple of extra layers of fat on your body.  I was done with it.  I did weight watchers for  3 years since I had my youngest son and even though I lost 70 pounds, again, I wasn't eating 'clean' and although I was counting calories, I didn't feel as if I was doing the best thing for my body.

So I bought the EFL and BFL book and I was thrilled right away.  I love the structure I got from the eating plan - simple things that I didn't realize  I should be doing such as eating a protein and a carb in every meal.  Who knew?  My former self would maybe have carrots and hummus for a snack but I finally realized that I wasn't feeding my body properly.

I'm doing well so far.  I've taken a photo when I started and took one when I finished week 4.  I could see a difference already - mostly in my waist - wish I did body fat percentage when I started  :[    

Anyway, I'm hitting the gym hard and following the program and I love it.  I can see the fat really falling off - finally pushing myself beyond the wall that I couldn't get over before.  

Well, enough babbling, I love the forum so far and all of the positive energy!

Heather

Heather

"Without struggle there is no growth"

• Hi Heather, nice to "meet" you! Sounds like you are doing great already! Are you going to put your pics on your profile page for us? Wow triathlons, it's funny isn't it, the pic that comes to mind is lean, stringbean because of all that exercise - cudo's to you for doing it at all, and with extra weight, must be hard on your body.  Interesting you know, one of the past champions (can't remember which one), was a triathlete and she said she hated her body, it wasn't until she did this program that her body shape changed to "stunning"!

All the best Heather - Keep at it mate - you will do fantastic!!

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• hi, my name is maryAnn. I am 58 and have been lifting weights since I first heard of BFl back in'98. I'm not as consistent as I used to be. Over the years, I have put on an extra 40 lbs. that I have been trying and trying to get rid of. Hopefully I can find the answers  here. I do have 1 stumbling block though. Carbs! I try to incorporate a carb into all meals but the last one, and I always look and feel bloated.  I always look and feel better if i reduce carbs. How can I do BFL the proper way without all the carbs?

Mary Ann

• Hello all. On my second challenge. Lost 30 pounds on my first challenge in 2006. Strayed off and back onto BFL over the past 3 years with no consistancy and gained my weight back. Now on track and going to do this as a life long endeavor and not just a 3 month challenge. I know this program works and just need to keep the habits to be the best I can be.

• Hello, I am a newbie into my fourth week.  I am doing well with whole foods.  I found that I could not tolerate the shakes.  Does anyone else out there feel like they did not have a good wookout unless they are sore the next day?

• Hi Mary Ann!

Great to see you back again! So you've kept up the weights which is great because you need the muscle to keep the metabolism burning at rest, what about cardio of some kind and how's the eating been?

CARBS - Can you please clarify which are you "staple carbs"? I'm assuming you mean rice, potatoes, bread, pasta, legumes..... have you tried using fruit instead - that should not give you discomfort like the starches do. You need your carbs for energy for the cardio work, without them in some form you will struggle with fatigue.

Look forward to understanding more - all the best! Debs

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• Hi there Hanzelka!

Great to see you also! Sounds like you know how to do the challenge well, so we wish you all the best once again. 

"What Next" - is a burning question for a lot of us (has for me anyway), I was hopeless between C1 and C2 and C2 and C3 - my mind has finally caught up with what I need to do to stay this way or improve now.... it took some working out, I must say!

I'm into my 5th week of "active rest", still losing a little scale weight and dropping small amounts of measurements - so what I'm doing is going well - I will be monitoring closely

Wishing you all the best! Debs

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• Hi Mary Ann!

Great to see you back again! So you've kept up the weights which is great because you need the muscle to keep the metabolism burning at rest, what about cardio of some kind and how's the eating been?

CARBS - Can you please clarify which are you "staple carbs"? I'm assuming you mean rice, potatoes, bread, pasta, legumes..... have you tried using fruit instead - that should not give you discomfort like the starches do. You need your carbs for energy for the cardio work, without them in some form you will struggle with fatigue.

Look forward to understanding more - all the best! Debs

Actually that's exactly what I mean, the breads, rice, pasta even whole grain doesn't help. I totally avoid whole wheat thinking maybe it doesn't agree with me. I have over the past 2 days started adding fruit, but still eating an occassional small baked potato.  

I'm starting to think that maybe I am doomed to this weight.

Mary ann

• Mary ann!

C'mon now, you can't think that way.... I'm sure if you examine EVERYTHING, carbs, cardio, effort, intensity etc etc there are a whole lot of things you can "improve" upon......  Changing starches for Apples and sweet potato, should help a lot, did you eat a lot of rice, pasta and bread? These are the worst culprits, it sounds like you may have an intolerance to the "gluggy" sorts maybe???

Keep, looking, journal how you feel 1hour, 2 hours and right before you next meal AFTER you eat any carbs - you will soon see a pattern, and please don't forget the water!

Cheers

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• OK, I'll try that. Thanks.

Mary Ann

• Hi everyone! My name is April and I'm a 32 year old stay at home mommy of 3 wonderful kids! All my friends have raved about BFL and I've decided to FINALLY give it a shot!! My hubby and a few friends have made the commitment with me. We all start on Monday...although we are kinda "starting" this weekend....So here we go... :)

• HELLO APRIL! - Great choice by you and your "crew" - and it's lovely for you to have support!

We have another lady on here called April and there is a lady called "Alyson" who is a stay at home mum like you with 3 kids - beautiful, lady - you will probably come across her soon.

All the best to you all - I will add you on "The List of Commitment" - what are the others names?

Cheers - Debs xxx

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

• Hi everyone, I am actually in my 12th week, and just discovered that there was a forum on here.  This is actually my second time completing the challenge.  The first time I did it was seven years ago.  I am 31 years old now and decided I should give it another shot.  The first time I did the challenge I lost 23lbs, and over the last seven years I managed to gain that all back, little by little.  On this challenge I have really enjoyed everything about it.  I actually missed how good it felt to stick to the program.  Right now in my 12th week, I am down 25lbs, and I am planning on taking after pictures on Sunday.  I will post pictures from the first time I did the challenge on my profile.  Me and my wife want to stick to the routine for atleast another month, just for fun.  I really do enjoy living this way.  I feel so much better about myself.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Hi Hanzelka!  

Hi Jeff!

Welcome back!   And way to stick with it Jeff-you're almost there!  Sometimes I think the maintenance phases are more difficult than participating in a challenge.  The solution appears to be staying connected with a support system that encourages healthy eating habits, such as this forum!

Hi Blondie911!  Glad you are doing well with your nutrition since that really is 75% of  the results in the transformation equation.  Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is the result of training muscle fibers that haven't been hit before and sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't.  When I don't, it doesn't mean I didn't work out intensely.  Sometimes I just feel fatigue and that's okay.  If you really miss it, you can try changing up your exercises more frequently, slowing down the cadence of your reps--particularly the negative phase, or increasing your weights (but not so much that you lose your form).

Hi April!  Sounds like you have the added benefit of a live buddy system doing BFL.  Good for you!  Hope you keep us posted on your journey.