Myoplex (made w/ milk or water)?

• You can insert whatever brand of protein shake/powder you want here instead of Myoplex Deluxe but that is what I use(d).  Does anybody make theirs with skim milk instead of water?  I know it is an extra 80 calories but it is also an extra 8 grams of protein and the shakes just seem smoother with milk than w/ water.  The first time I did the program on days that I lifted weights I would use milk and on cardio days I would use water.  I had great results that first time.  Someone suggested a "power" myoplex shake where you would use a Myoplex Deluxe (53 grams), 8 oz of skim milk (8 grams) and 2 TBS of reduced fat peanut butter (8 grams) for a whopping total of 69 grams of protein in one shake.  What they failed to mention was that with that whopping 69 grams of protein came a whopping 600 calories.  I tried it once or twice and while it was delicous... I just couldn't justify such a calorie packed shake so I went back to alternating between milk and water.

Anyways... let's forget about the peanut butter.  What about the milk?  Do some of you mix yours with skim milk for the added calcium and protein or do most of you stick with just the water?

-BB

• I've never even thought of adding skim milk! Smoother is good! I'm anxious to hear what advise you get!

How about 1/2 water & 1/2 skim milk? Can't wait to try it, sounds good!!!

But... I will wait to hear what others say. :)

Live   Love   Lift!

Dee :)

• I only use milk.  But I am not a veteran here, so this is not advice, just my personal choice.  I like the flavor and texture better with milk.

Nancy Jo

C1W1D4

• I use water and ice mixed up in a blender with the packet myoplex shakes. I have used skim milk in the whey protein before, just because it doesn't have much flavor when mixed only with water, but I started adding a handful of frozen berries to the whey and that makes it fine with water.  I suppose if you don't mind the extra cals and carbs, you could go ahead and use the milk. But try the ice and water in the blender if you haven't already. That really does make a difference. Makes it frosty!

Mike

• Water only for me.  I make mine up about an hour before it is time to drink it.  Letting it sit in the fridge and giving it one last good shake allows the powder to fully dissolve.

Every once in a while I will add 1 tablespoon of Polaner Sugar free raspberry preserves which adds 5g of carb, 3g fiber and 10 calories.  I'm OK with this for the sake of getting a different flavor from the vanilla powder.

For me the protein powder isn't something that I drink because I expect to enjoy it or for it to be rich and creamy.  Texture doesn't matter, I am putting something into my body that is getting protein and carbs quickly to my recovering muscles.  It is serving a purpose and that is about it.

C1W12D1  32lbs lost from 221 lbs so far

• Well...that settles that!

I've always been ok with just water so why change now and add extra calories! Anyways I actually like the strawberry one. Sometimes I add 1 pkt of splenda but only when I have a sweet tooth (around that you-know-when time of month)!

Live   Love   Lift!

Dee :)

• try unsweetened vanilla almond breeze.

• Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 Cup (240mL)

Amount per Serving

Calories 80 Calories from Fat 20

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 2g 3%

Saturated Fat  0g 0%

Monounsaturated Fat  0.5g

Polyunsaturated Fat  1g

Trans Fat  0g

Cholesterol 0mg 0%

Sodium 95mg 4%

Potassium 300mg 9%

Total Carbohydrate 10g 3%

Dietary Fiber  1g 4%

Sugars  7g

Protein 6g 12%

i use this soy milk personally - silk light vanilla. i wonder if i should use two cups of milk though as there are only 10 carbs in one cup. hmmm.

Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can.

• Hello everyone.. I have a question.. is it ok to mix 1/3 cup frozen blueberries or frozen strawberries?I use  Myoplex lite. I add very little strawberries to the chocolate one with a cup of ice.. and 1/3 cup of blueberries with cinnamon and of course ice to the vanilla. I blend them both  just with water and they taste really good like that.. Thanks.

• What I don't see mentioned below is the fact that anything you add to Myoplex or Myoplex lite is simply adding more calories be them carbs or proteins.  Both shakes are considered full meals.  I understand the texture thing, but adding milk to either of the above almost doubles your carb intake for that given shake.  

If you happen to be using a protein powder such as EAS 100% WHEY or EAS Premium Protein, those can both use the extra carbs in skim milk because they are both around 3 carbs per scoop if my memory serves me correctly.

Back to the texture.  I'm not suggesting anyone that is faint of stomach do this, but I've added one pasturized raw egg white to hundreds of water mixed shakes and used an emersion blender to mix the shake and it gives it more lift and a less watery texture and the emersion blender creates lump free shakes and takes a minute to wash versus the blender.

In the long run if you use milk, even skim milk in your myoplex and myoplex lite, you could be costing yourselves results in the end.  Everything is relative to your own personal desired results.  I wasn't willing to splurge on the extra milk calories in the long run.

Adding fruit to myoplex and myoplex lite is the same as the milk.  It's doubling up on the carbs.  Save your fruit for another meal say with cottage cheese.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right ~ Henry Ford

Michelle Simpson ~2009 Body-for-LIFE Champion 46+ Catagory

• Thank you Champster09 Then I think now it will be easier to omit the some fruit..probably it will be easier now that I got used better to the flavor. But I will keep the cup of ice :) Thanks again

• I found when i first started drinking protein shakes I couldnt drink them without milk but over time ive gradually used more water and less milk so that now i can have it all water. Also my PT told me that if you mix them with water the protein gets into your system quicker as your body doesnt have to digest the milk part which humans find difficult to digest.

Dont get me wrong it rates pretty low on the my list of enjoyable foods but i can it down in 3 big mouths. As they say no pain no gain and if suffering watery protein shakes is the worst of the food i have to put up with to look amazing i could drink them a hundred times over lol.

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh