Still a bit sore...

• Good day everyone,

I've just started my Body-for-LIFE program and am now on Day 3 which means today I should do my lower body workout. The thing is, my quads are still a bit sore from yesterday's intense cardio run - should I still lift? I was thinking of maybe passing up on the quads section of my workout and do everything else. Or should I just solider on and do the whole workout? Or should I skip the whole thing and give my legs a full day's rest?

What are your thoughts on this? Any vets out there to give me some advice?

• Soldier on!

You'll come to appreciate that muscle exhaustion. There will come a day when you will try killing yourself to feel that pain again. Throughout the challenge it gets harder and harder to attain that kind of muscle soreness. Be very aware of the difference of muscle soreness and muscle pains. If you are unsure...it's probably muscle soreness.

Give that workout everything you've got!

Keep the faith!

Faithful Renee :0)

• Renee,

Hi I also started Body for life this week. I have been doing awesome so far. I did have a question. Yesterday I did my leg workout and today my legs feel like jello still, I know its just because I have not worked them like that is so long and with that kind of weight.  I am supposed to do my cardio today but I just dont know if I will be able to get in the intensity that I need to with them being so weak, any advice? By the way, I looked at your pics, you look amazing!

• Fitnstrong,

I took Renee's advice and I'm glad I did! But before I did my lower body workout, I went ahead and warmed up my legs on the treadmill for about 4 minutes then stretched really well before I jumped into my lower-body workout. Then the next day I had to do my cardio again but this time, a different part of my leg was a bit sore (hamstrings) so I went ahead and gave myself about 3 minutes to warm up on the treadmill then stretched then hit my cardio full throttle.

Remember, its always about pushing YOUR intensity level, not looking for sudden improvement after each workout - so today your jello legs may not give you the intensity you hope to see. But persevere! Warm-up well, stretch well then maybe use a stationary bike as a opposed to running on the treadmill and aim for your intensity levels at the moment. It may not top your first cardio excerise but in this program I think it is important to solider on!

And hey, it's only 20 minutes! ;)

• I agree with Nick Fitnstrong and hey 20 mins of slightly lower intensity than you hoped is better than nothing at all so get on that treadmill. You'll most likely find once you get going its fine.

I did my LBWO yesterday felt like I was dragging to lumps of lead where my legs should be this morning on the treadmill  lol but it was easier after the first interval and then the second and then I was half way through (I think of each interval as 25% of my workout then it feels like your making massive progress with each one you finished).

Before I knew it it was the last interval and then i just kept telling myself "finish this strong" over and over until that last second passed and walla cardio over. This is the only way i can make it through my cardio as I hate it, much prefer doing weights, but hey ho such is life as the skinny person i am going to be. :0)

"The future will be made up of the present. By taking good care of the present, we take good care of the future." Thich Nhat Hanh

• Piggy backing on what Renee said, you'll know the difference because the usual soreness feels more like a bruise.  As someone once said, you feel like King Kong beat you up. :-)  If you are not feeling that then you have something else going on and perhaps should slow down or seek medical advice.  If you are just feeling bruised, just keep on keeping on.  It will go away as you workout and over time you will wonder why you aren't feeling it. :-)

Love you some you...PERSEVERE!

• Thankyou all for your input and advice. My name is holly by the way. Well I pushed through the cardio workout today. I gave it 100 % effort and I know I didn't go as hard as I could when I'm not so sore but I know I have to take it one day at a time. I'm pretty sure I hit my ten because I thought I was going to puke when I hit that last minute. I will have to say I do enjoy weights more as weel, and am looking forward to tommorows upper workout.

• Does anyone actually love cardio days?

Weight days are so much more fun!!!

I like thinking of each segment as 25% SianmcLaren!!!

I made a cassette tape where I arranged 20 min of energizing music and play/record that while I watch the clock and announce "15 sec", "30 sec", "45 sec" "level 8" ect. I made a few of them with different music. I like it because we (my hubby & I) never have to watch a clock. I just wish I could do it on a CD but I don't know how to get my voice on a CD. Oh well! Weight days we listen to the Ipod!

Live   Love   Lift!

Dee :)