Anyone "older" females starting week of May 30th?

• Two more things before I forget.  Sharon posted this link on the Sept. 3 group and it's great for those who are just starting out or to remind those of us who are on our second challenge:

bodyforlife.com/.../28744.aspx

Also - as I was doing my weights at the gym this morning, I noticed how I get through the routine in the right amount of time because  I really follow the program exactly.  In the beginning, I was getting used to using weights and took too long for each set. So, I wasn't really reaching my potential 9s and 10s at first. So, if you're new to BFL, make sure you are doing the sets as quickly and efficiently as you can to get the maximum benefit.

Clare

• Thanks for the tip. I am heading out to the GNC today and get my fix. ;^)

• so...... what do you think?

• Hi cre8tivethinkr,

Just wanted to thank you for your words of encouragement to me last week. I am in my 4th week of the challenge now. Feeling good and really happy to have people like you here on the forum for inspiration!

Have a great week,

Lori

• @ cre8tivethinkr

hell yeah for the "Oh Yeah"!!

I still got to get myself into sugar rehab though.

• Hi Ladies!

Wow, its been a long time since I posted. A lot has been going on here and not all of it good. My job is going well and I am enjoying working in the classroom again, however my days are longer than anticipated. I am not leaving the classroom until much later than I should, but that is to be expected. Anytime you work with the school system you end up working hours that you do not get paid for but still need to be worked because the children deserve a classroom that is up and ready when they walk in the door. Oh well...its all good. I spend the day with a bunch of smiling faces. You can't beat that.  It is however putting a damper in my time management. =)

Our oldest daughter has left for the marines (Sept 30th) and we were really a busy family getting her ready for that the two weeks before she left. We haven't heard a peep from her which considering it is Officer Candidate School (OCS), is a good thing! hehe If we had heard from her, it would be because she wasn't doing well. In the case of basic training or OCS, no news is good news.

The biggest change however has not been a positive one. My older sister (who is also my only sister) has been diagnosed with a very large brain tumor. She is having brain surgery on October 15th and they will know more when they take it out and send it to the lab, but right now they are saying they believe because of its location that it is probably benign. We are all hoping they are correct but the fact that the tumor is so large is greatly concerning her neurosurgeons. My sister is not a very strong personality and she has a coping skill of shutting down when the going gets rough. She lives outside of D.C. but has been leaning on me quite heavily since the diagnosis. She has asked me to be her "voice" so that she doesn't have to talk to others, so I am the go-between - I get information  from her and then disseminate it to family and coworkers and I filter any information that attempts to get through to her from those same people to make sure someone doesn't say something "well meaning" that would shake her up. It's been a lot of text messages and emails because she isn't feeling up to talking on the phone and while I DO NOT MIND AT ALL its also been a big chunk of my time because I now have to constantly have my cell phone on my person and check email throughout the day more than I normally would. I also have to respond to her right away as I don't want her to freak out about something when we could talk about it and I could keep her calmer and support her by bolstering her confidence (which she seems to lack for the most part).

So, that brings me to challenge 2. So far I am doing pretty well but I am not as on target as I was for the last challenge. I have missed a few exercise days and while I am eating well, there are times when I am emailing my sister and I just need to eat "something" because its dinner and "something" is not always a good choice. I weigh 139.2 so I am pretty good with that, but I weighed 137 at the start of the challenge so I am aware that this is not the correct direction I want to travel in. Today I am going to do my cardio routine and tomorrow a mixture of cardio and weights. I think my biggest issue has not been the eating or the cardio (both of which have been pretty good) but the weights. I need to be more intense with my weights. I am going to refocus my energy on sticking to task with the dedication I had during the first challenge and to get back to the intensity with the weights that I know I need, especially at my age. It's not going to be easy as my sisters brain surgery approaches, but I know I can't put aside my goals completely because that won't do me or my sister any good in the long run.

Well, speaking of time crunch, its time for me to get myself to work. Have a very good week everyone!! Lets all make good choices today!! =)

Karen

• Hi Karen.  As I was heading out to the gym this morning, I was just thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. You were such an inspiration to me during my first challenge.  I'm still hanging in here for Challenge 2.  It's different this time around.  No more honeymoon phase or something!

Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister.   I will certainly keep you in my prayers.  I miss seeing  your daily posts but you sound like you are directing your energies where they need to be right now.   I'm sure your positive voice and energy will be much appreciated by your sister and your family.

Peace, Clare

• Hi Karen,

I'm in the 5th week of my first challenge, and this thread has really inspired me during this time. The big lesson I have learned from all of you is finding the strength and focus to stay on track through all the diversions and adversity that life throws my way. I wish the same to you during these challenging times.

All the best,

Lori

• Hi Karen,

So nice to hear from you. I echo others' comments on how inspirational and positive you always seem to be -- no matter what!!

I am so sorry to learn of the ordeal your sister is going through. And I feel for you and the rest of her family and friends, as stress and concern are no doubt a big part of your life during these times. I too will keep you all in my prayers and wish for the best possible outcome.

Glad your job is going well and your daughter is doing well in OCS. Those are big parts of your life, too :)

And hang in there and do your best on this C2. You're human. And you do keep your goals and convictions in mind, even while going through your life's challenges right now. And that says a lot. It's when we stop thinking about it, throwing what once mattered out the window - and out of our thoughts - that can be telling. I admire your perseverance. And your very giving heart.

I'm hanging in there with my second challenge. Starting week 4 today. I picked up 1.4 lbs during my AR, but have lost about 2 since starting C2, so I'm feeling great about that. Staying the course :)

Hang in there, and be good to yourself. Keep us posted when you can, but know we'll be thinking about all of you.

• Karen,

I am so sorry to hear about your sisters illness.  Both of you will be in my prayers.  If anyone can keep her feeling positive it is you.  As far as staying on track, there are only so many hours in your day, do what you can, and cut yourself a break everyonce in a while.  You deserve it.

Malena

• Hi Karen -- just checking in to see how you are doing, I'm wishing you the best.

I had a few days this past week where I totally fell off track. Hoping to get back on starting today. Trying not to beat myself up too much!

- Lori

• Hi, I'm Val and I'm starting May 30 - I definitely fall into the 'older' category lol.  I'm 58 with two kids and two grandkids.   We're empy nesters so that makes it a little easier to plan the food part of the program though.  

Wow this is a long thread and I haven't even read it all yet but I wanna join you!

Val