Taking it One Night at a Time: Body-for-LIFE on the Night Shift

BFL

BFL
Body-for-LIFE

Taking it One Night at a Time: Body-for-LIFE on the Night Shift

• Comments 1

Have you ever wondered how Body-for-LIFE will ever fit into your hectic 2nd or 3rd shift work schedule?  A person who works night shifts can still be successful on the Body-for-LIFE program, and without ever having to change a single thing about the program! Although the Body-for-LIFE program focuses on working out first thing in the morning, eating balanced meals in regular intervals throughout the day, and getting enough rest during the night, the routine itself can certainly be adjusted to the time-table of the active, waking hours for a person working the night shift.  Your definition of “first thing in the morning" may be 2pm, and your “night-time” rest might start at 5am; but you can still follow the program according to your own individual wake-sleep cycle!

The claim statement that "it is bad to eat after 7pm" is a myth; or, at least a statement that needs to be more carefully worded.  Your body will process calories the same way during the night as it does during the day, if those are your active, waking hours. In other words, essentially your body does not know what time of day it is; it just knows whether you are awake and active or asleep and resting. During the hours which you are awake and active, your body will burn food for fuel, so it is important to consistently fuel yourself with incremental meals, just as recommended on Body-for-LIFE! So, night shift workers need not worry.  You do not need to stop eating after 7pm when you still have 8-10 hours left in your day.  In fact, please don’t!  The statement above is better relayed as “it is bad to eat junky foods,” so that we may tie a type, rather than a time, to the food we consume in following successful nutrition guidelines.

As far as exercise is concerned, the suggestion to “work out first thing in the morning” can also be more thoughtfully worded to account for varying lifestyles and schedules, such as the night shift. However, there are people with "normal hours" who choose not to work out first thing in the morning (upon waking), and instead wait until another part of the day when it may be more convenient to them or their schedule. A workout done at another time in someone’s day is still quite effective, and a person working the night shift may also choose not to workout first thing upon waking.  The choice is yours.

Finally, rest is always important, regardless of whether you are sleeping at night or during the day.  It is ideal to get anywhere from 7-8 hours of sleep per 24 hour cycle, especially when participating in a regular workout regimen such as with Body-for-LIFE.  Your body needs this rest to recover between workouts and continue to work towards becoming a lean mean energized machine

-The BFL Team

• I AGREE. I AM A NIGHT RN AND I EAT BREAKFAST BOILED EGGS OR OATMEAL AS SOON AS I LEAVE WORK BEFORE DRIVING HOME. MAKE A SHAKE AND KEEP IT NEARBY BECAUSE I WAKE UP AT MIDDAY. SLEEP AGAIN UNTIL MY SON GETS HOME FROM SCHOOL AT 3PM THATS  A SALAD AND PROTEIN    THEN DINNER AT 6PM AND PUT IN SOME EXERCISE. PACK LUNCH FOR 11PM WITH A SNACK  AT 9PM .