The Free Day!

• Comments 9

Body-for-LIFE® requires us to be structured and disciplined for twelve weeks. During that time, we focus on planning meals, finding time to cook and exercise, grocery shopping, and whether it’s our upper body or lower body day! Among all that planning and structure, it is hard to adjust to the idea of a free day.  It is not uncommon to feel guilty for taking a free day when you are working so hard to stay on track, but remember this was written into the program for a reason. The free day allows you to recover mentally and physically.  It also allows you to satisfy some cravings so that you can be motivated to be healthy long term. Who would stick with a program that recommends never eating their favorite lasagna ever again?

If you are still feeling overwhelmed by the idea of a free day, we included a few examples below to give you some ideas.

• Idea 1: Continue eating six small meals per day, but substitute some of the authorized proteins and carbohydrates. For example, at meal 1, you could eat chocolate chip pancakes with your egg whites. Then, at meal 3, you might choose French fries with your chicken breast instead of brown rice.
  • Idea 2: Eat three meals, consisting of any foods you want.
  • Idea 3: Continue eating six meals per day with lean proteins and complex carbohydrates, but add all those delicious, unauthorized toppings you miss during the week, such as cheese on your sandwich, butter on your baked potato, and cream in your coffee.
  • Idea 4: Enjoy a cookie with your lunch and a slice of pie with your dinner for dessert.
  • Idea 5: Treat your family, and finally cook your famous meatloaf with beef instead of turkey for once. Don’t be afraid to serve it with mashed potatoes and gravy.
  • Idea 6: Choose one big meal to splurge on, and eat smaller meals the rest of the day when you’re feeling hungry.
  • Idea 7: Relax and watch a movie with a soda and big bowl of popcorn topped with melted butter and salt.

No matter what you decide to do, remember it is your FREE day, so there is no right or wrong way to use it!

• Great Ideas!

• Is it normal to gain several punds on the free day?

• bluenile14 - You may be gaining weight for several different reasons. I have a few ideas that I'd love to discuss, if you can call 1-800-297-9776 (Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM EST).  Feel free to ask for me! ~Joe, BFL Team

• 2 junk meals works for me.

• I think it was in the BFL book that I read, in addition to the physical and psychological benefits, the Free Day reminds you of how bad you used to feel everyday!  I agree, a little reminder now and then of why you’re doing what you’re doing helps to keep pushing you forward.

• Thanks so much for this blog...its just what I needed to read! I was feeling guilty and wasn't sure if I understood how the free days were suppose to work :) thanks for the great ideas!

• If you do gain weight after your free day is there a quick way to get back where you were or do you just have to stick to the protocol and be patient?

• I enjoy a few beers on my day off, is alcohol the devil on this programme or is it acceptable. I try to keep it relatively tidy on the meal side and know i cant have everything I want as I have worked hard enough to make a change during the week. Anyone who is in the same boat please advise.

• These are all great ideas. I just started my 2nd challenge officially today. The first one I did on my own and had amazing results. Results that I myself did not fully appreciate until later.   Now I have gained back all my weight plus some. This time will be BFL for good.  I have a friend who has decided to do it with me, and also my husband. I really appreciate the free day and see it in a whole new way than before. I used to feel guilty to use my free day, and mentally beat myself up. We did a warmup week last week just to get our minds set.  And my free day was yesterday. I went to breakfast with my husband, had cheese on my egg whites  in the afternoon, and we went to a friends house after church and made the most indulging ice cream sundaes with the kids The rest of the time I ate good. . No more guilt. I feel good. Like you said, my free day is my free day.  We deserve it! We are allowed.:)