I Chose Body for LIFE - Body for LIFE Champion Sherman Goodrich

BFL

BFL
Body-for-LIFE

I Chose Body for LIFE - Body for LIFE Champion Sherman Goodrich

• Comments 2

I chose Body-for-LIFE!

As the old saying goes…"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." A great philosophy for hindsight, and good for a chuckle at parties.

In my case however, these words became all too true when I was first diagnosed at the age of 57 with Prostate Cancer. We had to decide on a treatment fast or face the consequences. The procedure of choice was 8 solid weeks of intense radiation therapy at the end of which my PSA was down.

Fast-forward nine years to April 2005. I was now the proud possessor of recurrent Prostate Cancer. To put it in perspective, recurrent basically means inoperable if not totally untreatable. What it boiled down to was me against this beast in a no-holds-barred battle. When the doctor mentioned those words “hormone therapy” I knew it was game on. In short, the bell had rung and it was time to come out fighting.

It was about this same time that I first came across the Body-for-Life® Challenge and, almost miraculously it seemed, I had someone in my corner. Someone who whispered—no, shouted—in my ear, “You can do this!” It was all there: the right exercises…the right diet…the right attitude. Victims of this insidious disease are all facing an opponent that has to be knocked out or else, and we’ll gladly use all the help we can get.

At the end of round one (and the end of my first 12 week Challenge) I received a Certificate of Congratulations for completing the Challenge.

The next round was also judged in my favor as I once again competed and completed the Body-for-LIFE Challenge, this time in 2007.

Final round: now it's time to take the gloves off. Only one of us will walk away from this one. Cancer took my mother at the age of 62 and my sister when she was only 48 so, as you can imagine, this fight is personal. I still plan to be around at 96 but, no matter how this might have turned out, I'm a winner! Body-for-Life helped me in my struggle! I’ll take the title of winner any day!

In 2008 we made the move from San Diego to Phoenix and I just plain ran out of days to train. Of course I made up for lost time in 2009 by competing in and winning the Body-for-LIFE Championship in the 46 and over class. I am now 71.

By Sherman Goodrich

• What a great inspiration Sherman, a true testiment of how pride, passion and perserverence pays off in a sport that is timeless...Fitness! ~ Nick Boswell 2006 Champion

• Good for you!  You are an inspiration.  I am re-entering the challenge at 65.  I have at least 60 lbs to lose; so it will take me at least 2 more challenges.  I believe BFL will help me address Type 2 diabetes and muscle wasteing.  I am in it for the long term now.